Windows Phone 7 Will Stream Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
While it's a cool idea and I wouldn't mind having it, I have no idea when I would ever use it. The only times I can think of are on airplanes, but you can't use your cell phone, and on long car trips, but in that case I'm usually driving and couldn't watch anyway.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
^ you can use your phones on Airplanes just not during takeoff/landing.

I watch youtube all the time on my phone... usually comedians while im eating lunch.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
If only we can get the browser/w3 people to shut up and let us install codecs of our own choices, HTML5 would have hit the ground running, trampling over flash and silverlight for video/audio.

Abrahm

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2007
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]^ you can use your phones on Airplanes just not during takeoff/landing.I watch youtube all the time on my phone... usually comedians while im eating lunch.[/citation]
You're supposed to turn all electronics off on take off and landing, but I don't think you are allowed to have the radios working on your phone at all during the entire flight, which is why some phones have an "Airplane mode".

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Yes, this is just what I would want to do on a freaking cell phone screen, watch movies when I have a 40+" HD TV sitting in the comfort of my home. Epic Fail

G

Abrahm is correct. Only a hand full of devices are allowed to be on at all times on a plane. That list includes things like pace makers, watches, hearing aids and pagers in receive mode only. Other items can be used at the gate, but once the plane is rolling for any reason all other items should be off as they can interfere with the aircraft radios. Once in the air above a certain altitude, things like cameras and such can be used, as long as any transmit functions have been turned off. This stuff is right out of the operations handbook at my airline.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]fyi72[/nom]haha good luck with you 5GB a month "unlimited" data limit[/citation]

Um thats normally only with the Wireless internet plans for say laptops not for cell phones. I currently have VZW and my plan has Unlimited Data, text/flix/pics and 1400 mins for 2 lines. I do have a 22% discount so I pay like $113/month.

But his would be cool. Silverlight is pretty nice and is a good competator to Flash until HTML5 takes off which IE9 is said to support.

But for the phone, I wouldn't mind having Flash and Silverlight to expand the ability.

Still sounds cool. Wonder if any other streaming sites will have apps for a Windows 7 phone.....

dantheman1001

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
What about the possibility of silverlight on android devices? This is a pretty cool feature but would suck if it was limited to WM7

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
[citation][nom]dantheman1001[/nom]What about the possibility of silverlight on android devices? This is a pretty cool feature but would suck if it was limited to WM7[/citation]

Why would microsoft pay for r&d and a deal with netflix on a microsoft app and then let their biggest competitor (bing vs google) use it?

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]If only we can get the browser/w3 people to shut up and let us install codecs of our own choices, HTML5 would have hit the ground running, trampling over flash and silverlight for video/audio.[/citation]Too late. Flash and Silverlight probably aren't going anywhere any time soon, in no small part thanks to that fiasco. Not that I really care, Flash deserves its place on the internet for all the awesomeness it has brought us over the years.

Plus looking at the HTML5 fiasco, I can understand why companies like MS and Adobe would choose to advance things on their own.

cata12

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Interesting thing that Windows Phone 7 will support this and the iPhone no (at least not for now). Here is the demo where Scott Stanfield explains how Netflix streaming works on WP7: http://www.thehdstandard.com/hardwaresoftware-solutions-for-streaming/netflix-on-windows-phone-7/

Catalin
Professional Streaming Consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.