Windows Phone 8 Coming in June 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Without more apps who cares. Microsoft needs to focus on competing with Android Market and whatever the Iphone calls it's market (I just can't remember what apple calls it)(Itunes? Isinkhole? Igiveappleallmymoney? Iliketopaymoreforthesameappsasandroid?)

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
so there is a windows phone 8, a windows 8 for ARM which contains none of the desktop features as Windows 8 for x86....

So what's the difference between windows 8 ARM and windows phone 8?

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]Without more apps who cares. Microsoft needs to focus on competing with Android Market and whatever the Iphone calls it's market (I just can't remember what apple calls it)(Itunes? Isinkhole? Igiveappleallmymoney? Iliketopaymoreforthesameappsasandroid?)[/citation]

Apps are just the icing on the cake, albeit a lucrative one. But without an all round good OS that supports and runs on some of the latest high end hardware, you will never get anywhere. Apple got it's market by having the best option at the time and kept people happy and it's street cred up by releasing regular updates to both OS features and phone hardware. But now look, they miss one window by going for the half arsed iPhone 4S rather than a full 5 and now the buzz is most definitely on the Samsung Galaxy S II.
As many people have commented before, MS is in this race for the long haul, not a flash in the pan success. Mango (WP7.5) most definitely caught up much of the distance with iOS and Android, while Apollo (WP8) at time of release will likely bring the OS up to level running with the other two and maybe a little more advanced as it seems to run a hell of a lot smoother on far inferior hardware. All they need now is a few phone models with some serious hardware inside and MS will be firmly established.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]so there is a windows phone 8, a windows 8 for ARM which contains none of the desktop features as Windows 8 for x86....So what's the difference between windows 8 ARM and windows phone 8?[/citation]

Windows is an umbrella term for various OS systems created by MS. The old Sega Dreamcast ran a version of Windows CE that was not a PC model and was specifically designed for the console.

Windows 8 and WP8 will actually share feature sets, mainly based around mobile phone device usage. Windows 8 for ARM is separate and designed for mobile devices using ARM CPU and GPU bigLITTLE architecture.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Apps are just the icing on the cake, albeit a lucrative one. But without an all round good OS that supports and runs on some of the latest high end hardware, you will never get anywhere. Apple got it's market by having the best option at the time and kept people happy and it's street cred up by releasing regular updates to both OS features and phone hardware. But now look, they miss one window by going for the half arsed iPhone 4S rather than a full 5 and now the buzz is most definitely on the Samsung Galaxy S II.As many people have commented before, MS is in this race for the long haul, not a flash in the pan success. Mango (WP7.5) most definitely caught up much of the distance with iOS and Android, while Apollo (WP8) at time of release will likely bring the OS up to level running with the other two and maybe a little more advanced as it seems to run a hell of a lot smoother on far inferior hardware. All they need now is a few phone models with some serious hardware inside and MS will be firmly established.[/citation]
Dual core support will come in Apollo. Alongside that, MSFT has also said that they will be opening up the OS for developers to run their native codes which is a plus for many game developers that run Unity or Unreal Engine. That ought to solve the "marketplace woes".

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Tango and Apollo? What happened with fruit based name? Apple is a fruit based name and it's a huge success. Nokia should learn from that and continue naming their devices with fruit.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Apps are just the icing on the cake, albeit a lucrative one. But without an all round good OS that supports and runs on some of the latest high end hardware, you will never get anywhere. Apple got it's market by having the best option at the time and kept people happy and it's street cred up by releasing regular updates to both OS features and phone hardware. But now look, they miss one window by going for the half arsed iPhone 4S rather than a full 5 and now the buzz is most definitely on the Samsung Galaxy S II.As many people have commented before, MS is in this race for the long haul, not a flash in the pan success. Mango (WP7.5) most definitely caught up much of the distance with iOS and Android, while Apollo (WP8) at time of release will likely bring the OS up to level running with the other two and maybe a little more advanced as it seems to run a hell of a lot smoother on far inferior hardware. All they need now is a few phone models with some serious hardware inside and MS will be firmly established.[/citation]
Agreed, also, what's the point in having more apps than anyone else when there are 300 fart apps?
Fewer apps, more quality.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sixdegree[/nom]Tango and Apollo? What happened with fruit based name? Apple is a fruit based name and it's a huge success. Nokia should learn from that and continue naming their devices with fruit.[/citation]
Maybe they are using the "ango" naming convention, eventually they will use Jango for Star Wars fans and Rango for the Johnny Depp animated lizard fans.

I personally would like a Jango Fett themed phone, Mandalorians rule!

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Maybe they are using the "ango" naming convention, eventually they will use Jango for Star Wars fans and Rango for the Johnny Depp animated lizard fans.I personally would like a Jango Fett themed phone, Mandalorians rule![/citation]

Pshh, It's all about Canderous. Jango sucks compared to him. Sure you don't have an iconic helmet but you get a much more interesting personality and bloodlust!

Also, @the article, I have no idea if WP8 will release on my Samsung Focus so I'm not all that excited about this. I will say that I agree with schizofrog (great name!) in that apps are not the defining feature of a platform, no matter what the respective corporations tell you. If your user experience sucks because the UI is cluttered and unreasonably sluggish, that OS is a failure. Sure you can install apps that do stuff but if you aren't truly satisfied by the experience then there's really no point in having that device, whatever it is.

Features are nice and functions are nice but if your day to day usage is bogged down by the OS, that OS has failed in a way.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]this is a fail. nokia shouldn't have killed symbian and meego. they'll suffer the consequences.[/citation]
Nokia were already suffering the consequences, they kept their own software and were sliding into oblivion watching the smartphone market be eaten alive by Apple and Android.
Sure Symbian had a few faithful fans but so did OS2/Warp.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I personally think Microsoft needs to update their specifications more often. We have old hardware currently that have been left behind in terms of specs by their iOS and Android counterparts.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]I would like to know if Windows Phone (7,7.5,Mango, whatever its called) will have an upgrade path to Windows Phone 8.[/citation]
Yes it will. I can't remember where I read it but if your device comes with WP7.5 (Mango) pre installed (as in, a new device) then it will run WP8 and the update rollout will be much the same as updating WP7 devicces to WP7.5.
MS have no confirmed however where you will stand with pre WP7.5 devices. My guess is that some devices will be able to take the update but most won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.