Windows Phone 8 on Nokia Could Follow Windows 8 in Nov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Plekter - It's not like it's been kept a secret that WP8 was coming and that Lumia devices wouldn't support it (although there is a further update planned for WP7.5).

I just hope that these new launch devices aren't just Lumia 850's and 950's with support for multicore processors and removable memory cards. I would like my device to be set apart from current Nokia WP devices.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
What a busy year for MS... I can't wait to see if win8 catches on or flops. I could see it go either way.

As of right now here are my best guesses:

win8 x86 on tablets: huge success, putting a lot of heat on the iPad in 2013, and likely outselling it in 2014

win8RT: Flop. No app eco system available yet, and ARM devices are under-powered compared to x86 devices that windows customers are accustomed to using. People who want the win8RT experience will just purchase a win8 phone with a docking station.

Win8 on Desktops and laptops: likely a relative flop at first, but will catch on before the end of 2013. I highly doubt people will purchase new devices specifically to have win8, or that many will pay to upgrade to win8 on current machines (though they might at $40 if they extend the upgrade price beyond January), but I also doubt it will be the flop that people are expecting where people will avoid win8 like they did with Vista. Win8 is different, but it is a much smaller/faster/feature rich OS than win7, and I think the general public will have less qualms about the start screen than most of the picky beta testers out there.

WP8: Huge success, bringing WP platform into the real market and eating into Android market share from day 1. This assumes the devices are priced equal or just below best selling Android phones, something that WP7 devices never quite got. We do not mind slightly lower specs as the OS is clearly faster, but we also are not going to spend $500 for a Windows Phone that has the same specs as a $300 Android phone. I highly doubt it will eat into the iPhone share any time soon, though it may force Apple to innovate a bit.

Office 15: Flop. I have been using it the last week on my computer, and (at least for my use) there is no real difference between 2007 and 2012 (with the exception of Access and Publisher, but I don't use them much). Until Office offers something really 'new' (on the order of finally adding a dictionary to word in 2007) then there is little reason to upgrade.

I pray to God that the subscription idea for office is turned down by consumers as Balmer is already on reccord saying that Windows itself should be on subscription. If the Office subscription service takes off then win9 will definitely move to that model, which is just about the only thing that would make me move over to a Linux platform.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]plekter[/nom]And I bought two Lumias last week...[/citation] at&t gives you 30 days to return the phones. Also consider that for a week, the phones have dropped to $50. Very little app development will continue. (1200+ far apps?!) WP8 apps will NOT work on WP7. The market share of WP7 worldwide is under 2% after almost 3 years.

I'm not seeing WP8 changing a thing.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
WP8 a huge success is more wishful thinking than reality IMO. It it was a free OS then maybe it would have a chance to be adopted by many manufacturers. Europe has spoken with their wallets and chose Android and iOS over WP7.5 mango. They even initially offered to put $50 into our pockets after dropping the price in America in order to sell the WP 7 phones. If consumers really loved WP 7 there would be a stronger market now than 2% when the Nokia phones are selling for $49 or less with a two year contact. WP8 looks the same to the average consumer and if WP 7.5 did not excite the masses then I don't expect WP8 to change that. I don't see the majority of people changing their minds over the improvements in WP8 if the interface stays the same. Maybe the average consumer buys what their friends and family buys instead of what strangers/techies would recommend.

The desktop will be the most interesting part of the equation for everything to succeed. I will definitely purchase the upgrade at $40 not because I like the Metro taking over the start button, but because I know Microsoft has to remove it in order to have businesses adopt it. Some amount of training is required at work and that costs time and money. Look no further as to why Microsoft removed the Office Start button in Office 2012 and replaced it with the familiar File menu/tab. Test Windows 8 on your non-techie friends and ask them to shut down the computer. Since new computers will come with Windows 8, it will automatically succeed unless you believe the majority will flock to Apple desktops and laptops instead.

I do expect the intel based tablets to do well since Office will be available and many businesses can easily port their custom software to it. It will be basically the touch tablet/laptop operating system for the windows user of the future.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
caedenv: I don't agree. The selling point of x86 tablets is the Windows(desktop) compatibility. For over a year, shiny $1200~1600 Win7 tablets from major players have been on the market. They are not flying off the shelves... actually, they are mail-order as no retail store seems to actually have these in stock. Win8 versions doesn't really change the price... the i5 CPU hardware isn't cheap. Some people are bitching about the $500~700 iPad pricing... how is an extra $600~800 going to sell? hint, they don't.

MS has been selling the tablet platform since 2001 with the release of XP... its a limited market for some business and hospitals. So it should do okay in the markets it does sell in, it won't come close to $350~600 iPads which have better screens and support.

WART tablets = fail. These $400~600 tablets are supposed to go against the iPad. No 3G or 4G models, only available from the 26 Microsoft stores in the world, no Apps (okay 10 or so), not compatible with the x86 windows... confusion of bait and switch... Imagine a customer buying a WART tablet and then finding out the needed to double their price to get what they were expecting?

WP8 Phones = Fail. MS keeps orphaning their phones with every release. This gets old. The limited # of WP7 will run (good)... I will guess in 3 years, MS may hit 6% market share of WP8, if they are lucky. The iPhone5 should be on the market by then and will just bury WP8. Apple will do to WP8 what they did to Amiga... they will IGNORE it... their guns are on Android. An Apple rep: "What is Windows Phone?"

Office 2013 = stagnant It will sell the same as it always does. Nobody is going to wet their pants to get their hands on it. Its almost like buying a car : Windows (check) Office (check) {Tires, check, doors, check). But MS Office market share is going down slowly... Open Office does 90% of what people need for a much cheaper price. yes, its NO Office 2010, but hey - they write a letter to grandma and dump it into the snail mail box.

Window8 Desktop = Fail For all the reasons you say it won't. Its simply crumble-some to use on a content creation device (computer). Metro is lovely for Phones and tablets... mostly.

I know that MS is trying to create an eco-system... they need to in order to survive. They have failed. Now, if some of us are wrong and Win8-OS is a home-run - then everything changes. People will BUY WP8 handsets... People will buy WART tablets... if the WinOS8 desktop experience blows them away. This is what I thought, until I actually used Win8 on a desktop.

But I think most people will HATE Windows8, which means they will NOT buy WP8 and WARTs. I will never install Win8 on my computers... even if MS sold it for $1. Too bad, I really like most of the improvements to Win8 desktop... The skin in ver. 8400 is great, but MS rips it out and goes full metro on the UI... its ugly.

I'll stick with Win7... and plan to migrate to Linux... I have little need for Windows... as do more and more people.

You see, with all these Android and iOS phones and tablets, it shows people that Microsoft Windows *IS* not needed. I was going to go with a Lumia phone... but I'm getting a new Android phone in a week or so. And you know how those 2 year plans go.

Balmer sunk Microsoft... their company social system is a mess with infighting and corp. back stabbing. They don't innovate. Their stock value has been $30 for years. Apple is $615+ today. Apple makes more money from JUST THE iPhone4 than everything that is Microsoft.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
@Osmin : I'm actually surprised that WP7.x didn't do well. I thought it was a different and well thought out UI for a phone. I had expected it to do much much better. I don't see why it took Nokia a year to convert the N9 and N8 to the Lumia900/800... a slight change in the SOC, stick in the Camera shutter button... and you got a new phone. Really, image search google on N8 N9 and you'll see those meego Phones look 99% the same as Lumias... from 2010/11.

I like Metro... I'm running it on my Android phone and its actually a bit more customized than Microsoft's. The tiles rotate to the phones orientation and individual color tiles, if I so choose. Same ALL APPS page, search functions. Same notification in the tiles.

On a desktop... its just stupid, crumblesome... I thought it would work fine.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
You folks seem to think the whole world is driven by apps. Microsoft has their own toys so they don't really need 3rd-party apps to make a good solution.

Actually the only threat to Microsoft is Microsoft itself as porting applications that were once planned to run only on PCs takes a lot of planning, coding and testing.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I think their tablets and phones will be very successful. They've had pixel sense for years, so it isn't an entierly new concept to them.

Plus WP7 is fantastic. It's fast, slick and has no errors(well for me anyway). I just hope that they let VPN functionality get into it, it's the only thing that I wish was put into it so far.

As for desktops? I don't like the metro UI. I'd rather burn my cash than put W8 on my computer

altriss

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Balmer sunk Microsoft... their company social system is a mess with infighting and corp. back stabbing. They don't innovate. Their stock value has been $30 for years. Apple is $615+ today. Apple makes more money from JUST THE iPhone4 than everything that is Microsoft.

I can understand you don't like Microsoft and you especially don't believe in W8, but this is a bit exaggerated... Until that sentence it looked like you knew what you were talking about. But that ruined everything.
Just for you to record :
Aple incomes for the whole 2011 years : around 600M$
Microsoft incomes for 2011 : around 900M$

So... before being full of hate, check at least what you are saying, because it makes your argument falling to tech analysis to hater bill.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Balmer didn't kill Microsoft, he focused on the business sector, which Microsoft is doing very very well in.

They now need to put as much effort into the public as they did the business sector.

Their advertising still sucks lol

Status
Not open for further replies.