Solved! Windows will only boot from USB in UEFI mode

jadgdf

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Today after coming back to my pc having left it switched on by accident, I found a black screen with no response from the mouse or keyboard.
I turned off the machine and when I turned it on it booted into the windows repair mode, with two vertical colourful lines on my screen. After trying all the options to fix it, I eventually reinstalled windows, but during the installation the screen went blank for around 10minutes and I figured (not really knowing what to do) I should turn it off. After turning it back on I was greeted with the same windows repair mode, however now when I tried to reset windows it told me it was unable to do so.

Now I have burned a Windows 10 iso onto my USB stick to try and manually install windows, but I am only able to boot from it in UEFI mode which means I cannot install windows (my hard drive is formatted for Legacy). When I try and boot in Legacy mode, all that shows is a blank screen and a blinking underscore.

I am very worried about the state of my computer now, and am not even really certain of the problem... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
The problem may not be as dire as you think. Since you are getting that screen with the cursor.

Try these...

Option 1 ...

1. First, while the computer is off, connect an external monitor.
2. Next turn on the computer and allow it to fully load.
3. Once loaded, press the "Windows Key" + "P" to open the "Easy Display Switcher".
4. In here select "Computer only".
5. Now shut down the computer and disconnect the external monitor.
5. Disconnect the external monitor
6. And finally restart the computer.

Option 2 ...

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

The problem may not be as dire as you think. Since you are getting that screen with the cursor.

Try these...

Option 1 ...

1. First, while the computer is off, connect an external monitor.
2. Next turn on the computer and allow it to fully load.
3. Once loaded, press the "Windows Key" + "P" to open the "Easy Display Switcher".
4. In here select "Computer only".
5. Now shut down the computer and disconnect the external monitor.
5. Disconnect the external monitor
6. And finally restart the computer.

Option 2 ...

Make sure you wait until the computer would be fully loaded before trying this, and not try it right away like you would to say get into BIOS. This needs you to actually be where you would be when Windows Explorer loads.

1. Press "Shift" repeatedly until the "sticky keys" window shows up.

2. Now click the the link there that will lead to the "Ease of Access Center".

3. Next click "Cancel" on the the bottom right corner of the "Set Up Sticky Keys" window.

4. From here you want to click "Control Panel" on the upper left corner (it should be right beside the "Make Your Computer Easier to Use" title.

5. Locate the "Computer Settings" menu and then choose the "Recovery" icon (make sure that your view of this is by either large or small icons for easier access).

6. Now click and open "System Restore".

7. Here you want to click next on the bottom right corner (a few times) until the button "Finish" shows up and then click it. (Just follow everything prompt that the window says which will lead you to recovering your previous system, in a certain time.

8. The computer will now do the work it needs to and then reboot.

If that doesn't work, you can try the following...

You can also try doing the Ctrl+Alt+Delete and see if you can get "Task Manager" to show.

If the "Task Manager" windows shows, then choose "New Task" and then type in EXPLORER. If the desktop shows up then you need to go into "Start", "Programs", then "Accessories" and finally "Command Prompt". (Or you can do a search for CMD.)

Make sure you load the "Command Prompt" with Administrator access. Then when it loads type in....

SFC /SCANNOW

It will do a file check.

To learn more about "SFC" visit this link at Microsoft... https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Solution

jadgdf

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Thank you for your response, however:
Option 1 - I already have an external monitor connected
Option 2 - My computer isn't able to fully load into windows to do that, I can only boot into the advanced startup options, and if I continue from there to 'Windows Recovery Environment' my PC just restarts and loads straight back into the same menu. I have also tried the system restore option in the advanced startup options but it says no restore points have been created.

Option 3 - I've tried doing sfc /scannow from the CMD in the advanced startup options, however after the verification phase it says 'Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation'.

jadgdf

Estimable
Jun 11, 2014
Okay I have managed to reinstall windows by converting my drive to GPT, however I was only able to boot into windows properly when I switched to integrated graphics. I believe it was my video card which stopped working, and I am now able to boot perfectly into windows using integrated graphics.

Thanks for the help anyway, I'm now looking for a new video card for my system (ughh).