Windows XP Finally Falls Below 50% Market Share

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
No one forces you to buy anything

Um ok... When your OS that you are running now no longer supports hardly anything you then are pretty much are forced to upgrade to a newer OS. XP is going the same way. Microsoft is slowly squeezing the life out of it, by cutting off support for it little by little. IE9. Windows Media player 12, Live Messenger 2011 Essentails are just a prime of example of software programs by Microsoft that be supported under XP, but Microsoft said nope if you want those new programs you have to upgrade either Vista or 7 to get those features. And if Vista was a huge sucess like 7 is Microsoft would have started cutting off support for XP a lot sooner.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]frknarrator[/nom]...so I guess I'll give it a pass, and maybe give Ubuntu one more shot. Once popular games make their way on Linux, Windows is doomed.[/citation]
Games are never coming to Linux because of the chicken and egg problem, and because it doesn't offer anything new or superior to other platforms.

I do not understand this fetish some people have for Linux, simply because it is not Windows. It's like they have to avoid the popular platform because all the uncool people use it.

Unless you are some kind of serious power user, Linux offers nothing that Windows doesn't. The security argument is a red herring, because anyone who is enough of a power user to warrant using Linux should have no problem securing their Windows PC.

So what else is there? Why is it so important *not* to be using Windows, other than to impress misanthropic nerds?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]Games are never coming to Linux because of the chicken and egg problem, and because it doesn't offer anything new or superior to other platforms. I do not understand this fetish some people have for Linux, simply because it is not Windows. It's like they have to avoid the popular platform because all the uncool people use it. Unless you are some kind of serious power user, Linux offers nothing that Windows doesn't. The security argument is a red herring, because anyone who is enough of a power user to warrant using Linux should have no problem securing their Windows PC. So what else is there? Why is it so important *not* to be using Windows, other than to impress misanthropic nerds?[/citation]
When I use it, I use it because it, and all the basic office functionality are free/hassle free. No activation. No loosing disks/license codes.

I just had a customer who deemed Vista superior to W7 because it didn't 'work' for her. It didn't work for her because she lost her Office 2007 disk/key, and couldn't reinstall it. Had MS not just switched to some kind of 'account' model, they would have a happy customer, instead of someone looking to stick to a crappy version of their OS because she can't transfer her license...

This doesn't happen with Linux. When you need it, it is there. Sure, you can try to teach a Windows User to use OpenOffice instead of MS Office on their machine, but they will never go for it. When you start with Linux, you are generally happy with Linux.

mrmike_49

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
to: back_by_demand:

you beggar belief; your response is moronic, your logic is .....illogical is the kindest word I can come up with

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I'd like to see the percentages for home users vs corporate/government. I have 2 windows 7 PCs at home, but at work we are still stuck with XP. And I work for a tech company so I'm guessing that most other companies are still using XP as well. Supposedly we're switching from XP to 7 in the next year or so, but I still don't believe it.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]When I use it, I use it because it, and all the basic office functionality are free/hassle free. No activation. No loosing disks/license codes. I just had a customer who deemed Vista superior to W7 because it didn't 'work' for her. It didn't work for her because she lost her Office 2007 disk/key, and couldn't reinstall it. Had MS not just switched to some kind of 'account' model, they would have a happy customer, instead of someone looking to stick to a crappy version of their OS because she can't transfer her license...This doesn't happen with Linux. When you need it, it is there. Sure, you can try to teach a Windows User to use OpenOffice instead of MS Office on their machine, but they will never go for it. When you start with Linux, you are generally happy with Linux.[/citation]
What are you mumbling about? You can use open office on Windows just like on Linux.

yyk71200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]What are you mumbling about? You can use open office on Windows just like on Linux.[/citation]
Sorry for double post. If you go Linux, you'll have to learn to use Open Office anyway. Ant I use open office and I am on Windows 7. (I actually have all three: & on desktop, and dual boot XP and Linux on my laptop).

G

Why do i still use XP? Because the $1000 it would cost me in licences(for all the pcs i own/maintain at my home/business) to sidegrade to win7 is not worth it.

Why do i need win7 when xp does everything i currently need it to? As long as that is the case i wont be upgrading.

Yes its antiquated, but i dont need new bling just for the sake of new bling. If it already works why 'replace it'.

----------------------

The gamer side of me wants games designed for modern pcs but that's not going to happen either. And its not xp/win7 stopping that. Its the last gen consoles. Games are designed for them. That will be true at least until the next round of consoles come out. Blame the consoles for games still using dx9 and 32bit code.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]yyk71200[/nom]What are you mumbling about? You can use open office on Windows just like on Linux.[/citation]

(Had you read my post, you would know that I, myself, said that.)

However, users who are not used to it will not use it when they want MS Office. Period.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Windows 7 x64. But sometimes, you need a free alternative.

Heck, one time, some poor college kid's computer was so f'ed up with malware, after she saw me diagnosing it with Ubuntu, she just asked that I install that instead, because it worked so much better than her existing XP installation... It was free, and it didn't hurt anything... And it spared us the time and effort trying to find a (legal) copy of XP to install for her for free, being that she didn't have her license or disk anywhere...

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]I didn't realise Windows XP was ten years old. I think it's because I waited a couple of years before upgrading from Windows 98.[/citation]
That was a good decision... XP was horrible before SP2... I stuck with a dual boot of Windows 2000/98 until the storm passed...

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You Linux funboys just need to stop. Linux will NEVER EVER be mainstream. I mean damn iOS has more market share than Linux. Enough... Open Office SUCKS...[/citation]

*takes off shades* But its free good sir.

G

Open office certainly doesn't suck... It's just not as good as MS office.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
With new OS coming out as usually, that of what was decent of use is that of something no longer and to say that a btter can be found will be in that of something use and that of not. With then of that may be that of something of new of use but that of lack of new within use.

But that of something new is new and new is what is new for it, probably, not always. But to say old is always good is hard placed for what old is and why it is any good to have anything old.

But to say of the article that of anything else of what has been said, is probably new for it on that of old, but still with change from that of what isn't old, yes?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]You Linux funboys just need to stop. Linux will NEVER EVER be mainstream. I mean damn iOS has more market share than Linux. Enough... Open Office SUCKS...[/citation]
Linux is an option... So why should why should you care? For technical people, programmers, servers... Linux is a better os. The user has complete control of the OS. I use win7 on my PCs and it's quite nice, best ms has ever done... But I still know it's a pos OS under the hood, not at all elegant.

Open office is dead, it's been replaced by Libre Office (same code) and it's between Office 2000 and 2003. It's stable, works very well and does most of what most people need. But it's not Office 2010 which is a good value at $120 for the family version ( thanks to Open Office) . For the price of $0 and it's works on windows, Mac, Linux and more language support over ms office.
I still user office 2003 cause it's good enough.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Xp isn't dead yet.

[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]There is absolutely no excuse for anyone to be running XP anymore. If you need XP, get Windows 7 Professional and download Windows XP Mode. Enough said.[/citation]
You offering to buy win7 for those still using xp?

Spend $10 more and get ultimate edition.

Obviously...xp is still doing fine... And millions of people will be using xp into 2020. Geez, win98 lasted till about 2005. When an OS is on the market for 10 years, it effects upgradability.... Ms won't do t hat Again.
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]R.I.P xp..[/citation]

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Many of the businesses that I work with will have most computers running windows XP with only a select few running windows 7 x64 (mainly for video production systems where 64 bit is needed to use the latest adobe aftereffects an have like 16GB memory.

For what most people do, they can do it using a system running windows xp. For most people the only thing windows 7 offers is dx 11 and extra eye candy, For basic users it offers 100% nothing new.

If you run a business with 100 computers using windows , using systems such as the dell optiplex ones with a core 2 duo or a Pentium D CPU and 1-2GB memory, upgrading to windows 7 will only make the system feel more sluggish, making the work more stressful because not only are your workers doing a boring job but now they are having to waste more time struggling with a slower system.

Most windows 7 sales are due to new computer purchases where you don't have a choice of another version of windows.

Because of this, a new PC purchase is also considered a new windows 7 purchase. (and how many new computers are sold each year, (just know that many people who do not build their own computer will often buy a new computer every few years, meaning if their XP system has a CPU thats too slow to for the programs that they want to use then they will but a new system and it will come with windows 7, Microsoft considers it to be people flocking to windows 7.

Thats like capturing entire groups of people and placing them in a room that is -100C and making the walls electrified then claiming that people like electrified walls because so many are running into them. (I wonder if they will still if theres another option such as going back to the way life was before any of the other crap)

(PS most people don't even know linux even exists, they truly believe that the only computers you can buy is one running windows or the mac OS

Status
Not open for further replies.