Windows XP Finally Falls Below 50% Market Share

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Sales does not mean people like something when theres no option

Americans spend billions a year in fines for trivial traffic violations that hurt no one and cause no traffic issues, does that mean that Americans like paying tickets?

If you want to truly see what the market likes better then offer the option with all systems sold for the user to choose between windows xp and windows 7

Or make a universal activation system and have new computers come with both windows XP and windows 7, the user can use both for like a month and then choose which one they want to keep, the other choice will then be deleted and the partitions will resize after a restart.

G

I couldnt' find any advantage in windows 7 over XP
but surely it can't run a lot of programs that worked under XP.

The only advantage of windows 7 is for microsoft

get redy for windows 8, who needs it ?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]robba[/nom]I couldnt' find any advantage in windows 7 over XPbut surely it can't run a lot of programs that worked under XP.The only advantage of windows 7 is for microsoftget redy for windows 8, who needs it ?[/citation]
I couldn't possibly disagree more. While XP had some advantages over 98 and 2000 (not even getting into Me) it had some drawbacks as well. For the first few years, it was too hefty of an OS to be run on anything but the most expensive systems. Driver support was there, but rarely from MS. Support always came directly from the vendors. This is a nightmare for the average customer. All they want to do is video conference with their friend/kid/sibling far away, but the Webcam/mic/seekers wouldn't automatically install drivers. Vista was an improvement in this regard, but was so clunky and clumsy, and bloated, that any benefit was lost on the user. Don't even get me started on WiFi configuration for XP... Just DREADFUL until SP3...

Once 7 came out, which was focused on the end user experience, things like Malware were harder to get in the 1st place, configuration of email, wireless networks, and hardware became practically automated. System responsiveness improved on EVEN older hardware EVEN compared against XP... That says a LOT about how well W7 was designed compared to previous OSs.

I am SO HAPPY to be able to move on from XP. If it works for you, keep with it. But 7 solved some problems my customers didn't even realize they had... And can't live without it anymore.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]SteelCity1981[/nom]Um ok... When your OS that you are running now no longer supports hardly anything you then are pretty much are forced to upgrade to a newer OS. XP is going the same way. Microsoft is slowly squeezing the life out of it, by cutting off support for it little by little. IE9. Windows Media player 12, Live Messenger 2011 Essentails are just a prime of example of software programs by Microsoft that be supported under XP, but Microsoft said nope if you want those new programs you have to upgrade either Vista or 7 to get those features. And if Vista was a huge sucess like 7 is Microsoft would have started cutting off support for XP a lot sooner.[/citation]

Well for one, you can get replacement software online. Microsoft doesn't support Windows 2000 anymore, but that doesn't mean all hope is lost. Firefox 3.5 and the current version of Opera is supported by Windows 2000 AND 98. I don't blame Microsoft for it though, as a big company, they have to invest more money into upgrading and keeping Vista and 7 up to date. They can manage to spend a few bucks on XP, but only for so long. While Microsoft might be forced to move the support end date of 2014 further back like they did with Windows 98, most people will have upgraded.

The way I see it, here is how the chart flows.

Newer programs released > Have fixes, patches or graphics (Games) > Greater demand from system > Upgrade hardware to meet needs > New bugs are revealed > New programs released

Because of this, an OS must keep upgrading and going to support today. You don't see Windows 95 being able to play Team Fortress 2 or Starcraft II on extremely high settings because it simply cannot handle it.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]I couldn't possibly disagree more. While XP had some advantages over 98 and 2000 (not even getting into Me) it had some drawbacks as well. For the first few years, it was too hefty of an OS to be run on anything but the most expensive systems. Driver support was there, but rarely from MS. Support always came directly from the vendors. This is a nightmare for the average customer. All they want to do is video conference with their friend/kid/sibling far away, but the Webcam/mic/seekers wouldn't automatically install drivers. Vista was an improvement in this regard, but was so clunky and clumsy, and bloated, that any benefit was lost on the user. Don't even get me started on WiFi configuration for XP... Just DREADFUL until SP3...Once 7 came out, which was focused on the end user experience, things like Malware were harder to get in the 1st place, configuration of email, wireless networks, and hardware became practically automated. System responsiveness improved on EVEN older hardware EVEN compared against XP... That says a LOT about how well W7 was designed compared to previous OSs. I am SO HAPPY to be able to move on from XP. If it works for you, keep with it. But 7 solved some problems my customers didn't even realize they had... And can't live without it anymore.[/citation]

I thought you were putting some form of Linux on all of your customers machines.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]robba[/nom]I couldnt' find any advantage in windows 7 over XPbut surely it can't run a lot of programs that worked under XP.The only advantage of windows 7 is for microsoftget redy for windows 8, who needs it ?[/citation]

Actually use Win7... and you may know the difference. Look up my history a few years back, when I slammed Vista - and still consider it junk. I bought my ThinkPad when Vista was 6+ months old, but it came with XP-Pro, 1GB RAM... did what I need it to do. The notebook was clean, etc. I used it as my test system for Win7RC... and never looked back.

Win7 with notebooks is amazing and far more reliable. With XP, I'd never let the notebook sleep, it would rarely ever wake up. With Win7, it wakes ups in a few seconds - where I left off (I still save my work)... so its rarely ever actually OFF. I did upgrade to 2GB of RAM, but it ran pretty good with 1GB (1 or 2GB under Vista = nightmare). My ThinkPad boots up, powers down and responded better than XP ever did.

Now mind you, Win7 isn't perfect - the faults it has today is the same crap from Vista... such as spending time calaculating time to xfer data, semi-useless status bar on Explorer... but day to day usage of the computer with Win7 is easily more enjoyable over XP. My desktop is more reliable... and its the exact same hardware today as when I installed XP-MCE 3+ years ago. Only my kids notebook has XP... which is handy for a few odd tools I need (stupid Android update software). And yes, some games flat out won't run under Win7... oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.