Windows XP UPGRADE to Windows 10 - All stopped @ 16 of 60 ...now Black Screen only

easyhj1

Prominent
Mar 28, 2017
My LTop was just fine -- I had not used this one fro 2-3 years then I had it on and all was going fine. Later I accessed the WiFi code and logged on and the Windows started to update/upgrade to 10 from XP. At 16 of 60 the wheel just spun for 3 hours. Advised to re-start only to get BLACK SCREEN and no cursor or anything.....this LTop is for my music and some videos ---BUMMER! AMD Turion64 / Gateway / Windows XP

Can I get help or do I go to the computer shop? Should I install a Solid State Drive just for rec use?

Solution
There is no direct upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10. If you have a restore disk, use that to re-image your computer. If not, you can try to contact your laptop manufacturer for your model laptop and see if you can download the image ISO for your laptop and reinstall like that (sometimes at a cost) If you have an XP boot disc, you may be able to boot from that and access your hard drive to activate a factory reset.

-Wolf sends
There is no direct upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 10. If you have a restore disk, use that to re-image your computer. If not, you can try to contact your laptop manufacturer for your model laptop and see if you can download the image ISO for your laptop and reinstall like that (sometimes at a cost) If you have an XP boot disc, you may be able to boot from that and access your hard drive to activate a factory reset.

-Wolf sends

Solution

BFG-9000

Respectable
Sep 17, 2016
If something claimed to be installing Windows 10 from within XP then it was probably a virus.

You can indeed manually upgrade from XP to Win10-32 but it involves installing every OS in between except for Win8: XP-->Vista-->Win7-->Win10

I would not invest in a newer OS or SSD for a single-core machine with a max of only 2GB single-channel DDR1 memory. Put XP back on it and use it offline for your music and videos.

TRENDING THREADS