WinZip Now Offering System Utilities Suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Greattt, another PC performance enhancing toolkit to be confused with the millions of other trojans and viruses out there..

oh my gosh!!! cleanmyPC dot com!!!! so amazing!!!! *fart*

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I kinda feel sorry for them. Pretty much when WinXP came out, WinZip was rendered obsolete. I mean, it still treated ZIP files better, but it wasn't enough for me to trial / purchase a seperate program.

G

Eh, with Auslogics' suite of freeware utilities and 7-zip, I really have no need for WinZip's offering. I suppose it could be useful for corporate environments, though, where an integrated platform is more desirable.

JamesSneed

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Lets not forget Infozip which is free and works on just about every *nix system as well. The world said we wont pay for compression utilities a long timme ago. Its time for winzip to evolve or die and making some PC cleaning utility well um people wont pay for that eather. Sorry winzip.

G

Sounds like the lot of ya don't work in an enterprise environment. Try "zipping" an encrypted file with WinXP and come back here and let me know how it went.

pshhht....

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
So they basically scavenged multiple freely available utilites under a single GUI and want you to pay for the package? Buying this is a waste of money as is buying WinZip.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Moving compression and encryption..does that mean Winzip is now multi-threaded or is there still more work to be done?

BobDotBarker

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I agree with sillyboy. If you work in an environment where IT audits are routinely performed, you can't be using all those freeware where the EULA prohibits commercial use.
I personally stopped using WinZip over 10 years ago though.

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
Because the zip business went down in flames especially since windows (since xp) can natively unzip files. Plus they have competition like WinRAR that offers a free trial, so why bother with winzip. WinRAR has much better features and flexability plus it can open SOOOOO many more files (Anything from ISO, ARJ, RAR, BIN [and tons more] and you can even change the .exe extension on some installation packs to RAR and just unzip the files manually.) I've had to do it a few times for some installations that failed. I just extracted the files I needed and wella!

If you ask me that ship is sinkin' fast and this is proof.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'll always remember WinZip for its "this program is shareware" popup that always moved the "OK" button around, so you couldn't always just click the bottom-right button or whatever. Still, the last time I used WinZip on my own personal computer was when the shareware came pre-installed on a Compaq laptop 10 years ago (yeah Windows ME!).

I worked at a company 5 years ago that still used WinZip internally, but like Winzip 6, it couldn't even handle more than 65535 files in a single archive. I guess the company couldn't be bothered to upgrade their site license to a recent version. My current employer offers WinZip 14.5, but we have to request a license, and I see no reason to involve my VP just to zip/unzip files.

Paid compression utilities have no place on an average computer anymore (though corporate PCs might still be a different matter for legal reasons).

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
First thought: instead of this WinZip really needs to incorporate multi-threading into their applications. It's what, 5 years late?

Second thought: CCleaner does most of that for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.