Wired USB Headset to USB bluetooth adapter

ifIwasarichman

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014
I have a good wired USB headset (Razer Thresher Ultimate) and was wondering if there is an adapter which I could use to convert them into a bluetooth headset. Then I could use them with my phone, et cetera, as they do a great job with music as well as being very comfortable. I am working on the theory (well my uninformed theory) that it all the signals are digital, so may be possible.
So I need a female port USB adapter to plug into the cable on the headset. I can use something (have a pile of velcro ties) to keep the headset cable neat and out of the way.
Anyone heard of anything like this??

Solution
You are still forgetting that your USB headset needs a CPU to process it's sound output, which needs drivers telling OS how to do it, something which your bluetooth adapters don't do.

That is the main reason I said it isn't feasible.

USB battery pack, USB powered hub, you could connect headphones and bluetooth adapter (if it doesn't have battery in it) to it but.. there still is no computer telling headset what to do.

Yes, USB headsets have inbuilt soundcard
Yes, it's drivers are automatically installed once you plug it to computer
Yes, without drivers, it doesn't work.
No, it is not automatic digital to analog converter that just puts sound data to the drivers in headset.

Edit: the first amazon adapter would work fine if you...

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
99% if bluetooth adapters are receivers, not transmitters.
99.9% of said adapters assume they get their power through USB
100% of USB headsets want power through USB
100% of USB headsets need to be attached to computer so that their inbuilt soundcard can actually work.

where would your power come from? separate USB battery bank?
where would your headsets drivers come from?

in short.. nope, not going to work, at least in my opinion.

ifIwasarichman

Estimable
Jun 18, 2014

If you do a quick search online, you will find lots of Bluetooth transmitter/ receivers, (I had done quite a number of searches before I even asked the question).
A lot of these have batteries.
The ones I looked at lasted for 10 hours or more - if I could get a minimum of 5 to 6 hours use, I would be happy.
So those two problems are solved.

Another quick search brings up tons of Bluetooth receivers and a lot of these also have batteries (some have AC adapters for static devices like TV's and speakers.
These come with RCA, 3.5mm and Toslink adapters.
As far as I am aware, fibre optic is a digital signal, so they are capable of dealing with digital signals.
So that problem is solved.

Here is one example from Amazon - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/c0d/Golvery-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Reveiver-Adapter-Streaming/B01KZ1S46A/ref=pd_vtph_107_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZQP6BDJVF3M5NJ71RZK

Here is another - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Transmitter-Receiver-TaoTronics-Wireless/dp/B06WD8Z21S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1499596721&sr=8-6&keywords=HomeSpot+BTADP-128-D+bluetooth+transmitters

Here is another which mentions use with wired headphones - https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/c0d/Golvery-Bluetooth-Receiver-Wireless-Reveiver-Adapter-Streaming/B01KZ1S46A/ref=pd_vtph_107_lp_t_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=DZQP6BDJVF3M5NJ71RZK

It appears to me that the tech has been developed, but never applied (or that I can see) to this sort of situation.
I am looking for something along these lines, but with a USB instead of just 3.5mm, RCA, or Toslink.
At least then I could use it wireless with my PC (I did say phone, et cetera in my question)

OF NOTE - I did see that the RX/TX Bluetooth adapters have a RX/TX switch. If this is all they have, OK it is a pain, but still fine. Maybe there is a system out there which is capable of simultaneous signals.

little_me

Estimable
May 9, 2015
You are still forgetting that your USB headset needs a CPU to process it's sound output, which needs drivers telling OS how to do it, something which your bluetooth adapters don't do.

That is the main reason I said it isn't feasible.

USB battery pack, USB powered hub, you could connect headphones and bluetooth adapter (if it doesn't have battery in it) to it but.. there still is no computer telling headset what to do.

Yes, USB headsets have inbuilt soundcard
Yes, it's drivers are automatically installed once you plug it to computer
Yes, without drivers, it doesn't work.
No, it is not automatic digital to analog converter that just puts sound data to the drivers in headset.

Edit: the first amazon adapter would work fine if you connect it to normal 3.5mm plug headphones, you would pair the adapter with phone/computer/whatever you want and it would output the signal to headphones.

Toslink is optical (and digital but still)
USB is digital
USB headphones expect to be told what to do, they are dumb that way, then they output the analog signal to drivers in headset to create sound.
It will not work without you custom programming something like rasperry pi to handle the driver/conversion mess.

Solution