Wired vs Wireless Headphones

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
Hi,

Yet another one of my wired headsets where the pin broke off as either my chair hooked onto the cable or I tripped over it. A Sennheiser headset before and now my Logitech G230 :( I'm strongly thinking of getting a wireless headset.

Are wireless headsets as practical as wired headsets? Are they too heavy, have terrible sound, battery that runs out quick or just plain ridiculously expensive? This pair would be for my PC, 50% for gaming and 50% listening to music.

I really need an answer to this.
Much appreciated :)

Solution
the a50 are in a totally different price range personally i wouldnt spend that amount on headphones but thats just my personal choice

probably wont get much better sounding than those but at that price i would hope not

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
had a pair of corsair h2100 before really liked them

not too heavy

very good sound

battery lasted near enough 8--10 hours without recharge i think

expensive? i didnt think so for the quality of construction and the sound quality

but sound quality is subjective to different people i guess

Mr Kagouris

Estimable
Sep 7, 2015
Wireless headphones will inherently have worse audio than equivalently priced wired ones, however when you consider the price of these wireless headsets it is debatable whether it actually matters. Unless you're an extreme audiophile you pretty much won't notice the difference.

Ridiculously expensive? Not for what they offer. If you want something that won't sound like garbage you will have to go in the high end category ($100+), but you would be getting a high end headset.

Battery life varies, but generally you can go through a whole day without the need to recharge.

Weight is pretty much the same as wired headsets (not exactly the same, but roughly the same) as the electronic components required for wireless operation and the battery are usually not very heavy.

larkspur

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I've been using the sennheiser rs 180 headphones for a couple years. They've been discontinued and replaced by the RS 185 model. They are very light and comfortable for their size, open circumaural and the easily-replaceable batteries supposedly last for 24-hours, though I've never used them more than 12 hours between charges. They use rechargeable low-self-discharge NiMH AAAs and if you are somewhere where you can't charge them, you can just pop in some regular AAAs (just don't try and charge them!)...

Sound quality is excellent. Range is good enough to cover my entire house, but not the far edges of my yard (I have brick outer walls). They are NOT bluetooth - they use a proprietary digital wireless protocol called KLEER. I don't perceive any "delay" or latency while using them to watch tv or while gaming. They aren't affected by other wireless devices and they don't seem to interfere with other wireless devices either - at least from what I can tell. I use them for gaming/TV/music. The mids and highs are very crisp, the bass is strong, but not quite as good as some of the very expensive, closed, wired headphones I've used. My model doesn't have digital-in, but the newer RS 185 model does.

My only complaint is the volume buttons are hard to find and feel with my fingers while the headphones are on. I usually just control the volume through the audio source though, so this isn't really isn't that big of a problem for me. They are also very expensive.

EDIT: And just to add - they really aren't portable - the base transmitter (which is also the charger) is pretty big and doesn't have batteries - it's not like you're going to take it on a train or a plane. And unfortunately, the headphones don't have a line-in jack on them. It would be awesome if they did.

Eskimo8

Honorable
Sep 29, 2012
I probably should've mentioned that I'm looking for something long term. I wouldn't say the price doesn't matter, of course it does, but I'm willing to pay up if it's worth it. The problem is that usually $500 headsets aren't 5x better than $100 ones so i'd not spend money recklessly.

Also it would be nice if my girlfriend can use them as well and she uses a PS4 sometimes so that cross compatibility would be awesome if possible.

I was looking at the A50, any thoughts? Unfortunately, Corsair don't ship headphones to my country.

mcnumpty23

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2011
the a50 are in a totally different price range personally i wouldnt spend that amount on headphones but thats just my personal choice

probably wont get much better sounding than those but at that price i would hope not

Solution