Wireless connectivity to TV for Audio - 2 headphones simultaneously..

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Hello all,

I was looking for a way where we can wireless connect 2 headphones to our TV without compromising sound quality. My sister recently had her first born and as all parents know, they barely get any time to themselves anymore. She's looking for a way to watch TV with her better half without waking the kid because he sleeps with them.

I've looked around and haven't found anything definitive or high quality. I always rely on Tom's Hardware for resolute advice.

So to recap; need to attach 2 wireless headphones to their TV simultaneously so they both can watch seamlessly and it needs to be good quality since lag or other disruptions aren't acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

dataport

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I've got the Sennheiser RS160's and they work perfectly. But be careful- a lot of HDTV's don't have the analog/RCA Outputs needed. I connected to my Comcast DVR box via RCA - then mute the TV.

To connect directly to TV (with no audio OUT) - you need a $10 digital audio converter to RCA - which plugs into the DAC connector on TV ......or HDMI to RCA converter if no DAC connector on TV.

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Thanks so much for the education, 2 quick questions:

1) Could you help me with a link to the above audio converter to RCA, one that YOU recommend? (I am trying to find out if they have outputs that are compatible with these)
2) Can these headphones (RS160's) connect to a laptop via USB too?

Thanks in advance.

dataport

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
First, Sennheiser line is one of the best wireless headphones, but require an analog input with standard RCA cables.

Look on the back of your TV. If you have 2 RCA connectors (L/R) labeled "Audio Out" - then all you need is generic RCA cables to connect to the headphone transmitter.

If no "audio out" on TV, see if you have a small-squared connector labeled "Digital Out". If so, then go to Amazon and put in: "Digital to Analog Audio Converter" - any of them will work. The converter will have a connector for digital in (from TV) - you'll need a DAC (digital audio cable). The other side of the converter will have 2 RCA connectors (R/L) to cable to the headphone transmitter.

If (no) audio out, and (no) Digital audio out on TV - see if you have a spare HDMI connector. Then you'll need a HDMI (digital) to RCA (analog) converter.

Either option will work even if you have other devices connected (e.g. DVD/BR Player). However, if you've got a home theater/amplifier with external speakers hooked up to the TV - then we've got a whole different solution.

For laptop (??): It should have a headphone connector. To connect the transmitter, you'll need a 3.5mm to RCA cable.....where the RCA side has 2 plugs for R/L. This isn't a converter, as the laptop 3.5mm is analog output - just a $1 cable you can get on ebay. Both Amazon/ebay also have USB-to-RCA cables.

Back to basics: What's your current configuration? If you've got a cable box - it will have Audio Out RCA jacks. If only TV, look and see what connectors are available. (Most) TV's don't have audio OUT - but may have a headphone jack (use 3.5mm to RCA cable) to headphone transmitter. Otherwise - from TV - you'll need a DAC-to-RCA or HDMI-to-RCA converter. Both are fairly cheap.

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Thanks so much for the detailed response, im about to post some pics of the ports they have. I am bound to err not being familiar with this, so id request you to review the pic and advise appropriately. Much appreciated in advance.

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Here is the picture of all ports, could you help me with the best solution? Thanks in advance!

https://s10.postimg.org/okmjcfji1/IMG_20160916_WA0003.jpg

dataport

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
Rather than going back-forth in this forum, email me at: [don't post your email on the forum]
Based on your pic, there's a simple solution to what you're trying to do, but have a couple more questions to your setup.

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Your email was deleted :(.

nathancorp

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Email sent. Look forward to hearing from you.