wireless LAN not staying on during Startup

flybuy

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
The wireless LAN adapter will not stay on upon Startup with the WLAN switch in the on position. The WLAN switch lights but when Vista is about finished loading it turns off, and there's no network connectivity. I've tried the diagnostic tool, done all Windows updates and uninstalled/reinstalled/updated the wireless adapter.
The only way I've found to turn on wireless LAN is to manually configure the adapter using the VAIO Smart Network. I have to do this every time I start up the laptop, and there are no other issues.
I'm using Windows Vista, SP1 on Sony VAIO model VGN-NR285D. Please advise if there is a solution to 'automatically' turn on the wireless adapter during Startup.
Thanks
Rob

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the wireless adapter.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the wifi adapter.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from Sony. (you may need to use a different PC)
- Here's the link: https://esupport.sony.com/CA/p/swu-download.pl?mdl=VGNNR285D&upd_id=3321&os_group_id=10
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed.
- After the reboot do go to System Configuration and select VAIO Smart Network to startup automatically.
- Press the Windows key + R then type in msconfig then press OK.
- Click on Startup tab and look for VAIO Smart Network, put a check on it and click Apply and OK.

flybuy

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Thanks laptop_nerd.
All went fine except in System Config Startup there is no 'VAIO Smart Network' listed; the only item by Sony is LANUtil.exe.
Further suggestions? Do I need to add it to Startup?

flybuy

Commendable
Jun 13, 2016
Something is causing the WLAN switch to turn off and I can't find it!
When I save the configurations to turn the WLAN on and 'save' them, why does it remove them when I come back to the settings after a reboot?