Wireless speakers for a business centre

Slapoy

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Hi there,

I've started taking an interest in Ubiquity wireless solutions and have been helping a customer of my Mums with programming and deploying these systems in different setups.

Hes come to me with a new project, an outdoor wireless network down the length of a street (about 500m) which is easy enough, but the people requesting the work would like to be able to play music and speak to the street through speakers placed along the street as well.

I'm aware there are wireless speakers and stuff that would work, but I'm struggling to get my head around the set up. I think I need an amplifier and some sort of reciever for the PA system but I'm not sure exactly what works on a scale like this.

The wireless network controller will likely be ran on a dedicated USB device, so we definately have a PC on at all times.

Has anyone got any experience and/or recommendations for this?

Cheers,
James.

Solution
I wasn't aware of that system you linked to and yes it would do the job for you, Probably powered from the poles it's mounted on. That voltage may not be standardized worldwide or the 900mhz band it runs on may be allocated for a different use in Australia.
I don't think there are any wireless speakers for this type of application if it's a permanent installation. They would have to have built in amps so would require mains connections where they are mounted.
You will need a number of passive speakers with 70v transformers to properly cover the area with built in 70v transformers similar to these
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/installed-sound/control-contractor-series/control-25av-ls#.W6AWYbhWKq8
They would connect to 70v PA amplifier mixer with a mic for announcements. For music you could use the PC, a Sonos Connect, any other line level source or combination of sources.
Your experience in networks doesn't transfer to audio so maybe finding someone with experience to design and install it might make more sense. Don't want to loose your Mum a client.

Slapoy

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Hi mate,

I'm well aware that my experience doesn't really transfer to Audio, but everyone this guy spoke to told him it couldn't be done and I'm very sure it can. We wont lose him as a customer, hes greatful that we're even taking him seriously and trying to find a suitable solution.

I've reached out to a few audio professionals, still waiting back on responses in regards to what they have experience with.

This is supposed to be a permanent solution, and we deal in data and electrical so if we need to hard wire speakers then that is a possibility, we just hoped we'd be able to make it easier for him.

Something like this would be perfect : http://streetsoundswireless.airnetix.com
But we can't find a distributor in Australia, and they wont ship further than Canada.

Cheers for the insight mate, will consider 70v applications.