Not open for further replies.
Nov 28, 2018
Installation failed!
Exit code: 256
Log:
WoeUSB v@@WOEUSB_VERSION@@
==============================
Mounting source filesystem...
Error: File "/media/woeusb_source_1543574182_9100/sources/install.wim" in source image has exceed the FAT32 Filesystem 4GiB Single File Size Limitation and cannot be installed. You must specify a different --target-filesystem.
Refer: https://github.com/slacka/WoeUSB/wiki/Limitations#fat32-filesystem-4gib-single-file-size-limitation for more info.
Unmounting and removing "/media/woeusb_source_1543574182_9100"...
You may now safely detach the target device

--------------------------------------------

I've formatted my usb to NTFS, then EXFAT, then back again. I've unmounted the usb. Been doing this for four hours, and it refuses to work. I'm using linux Mint 18.1 cinnamon.

I've tried forcing woeUSB to creat the bootable via "$ sudo woeusb --device Win10_1860Oct_English_x64.iso /dev/sdb"
Didn't Work.

I've tried so many things. Why doesn't windows just distribute the bootable files rather than only the ISO?

Nov 28, 2018

when I go to the media creation tool page I get this:

"You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10...You can use this page to download a disc image (ISO file) that can be used to install or reinstall Windows 10. The image can also be used to create installation media using a USB flash drive or DVD."

Thus I'm stuck creating a bootable on my own. However, windows requires a special process in order to make it bootable, and WoeUSB, to my knowledge at this point, is the only progam capable of doing so on Linux.

mateussevela17

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018

I have the EXACT same problem as you, what i am doing is, Downloading Windows 10 32-bit, because its ISO is 3,3 GiB , and from there, i am going to Win10 64-bit. Through the Media Creation Tool

Nov 28, 2018

That’s a clever solution. I ended up emulating Windows thru VirtualBox, then running Rufus within that to create the USB bootable. I spent 3 days trying to reinstall windows on my machine. What an adventure in technological mayhem.

Jan 16, 2019
theres a switch called --target-filesystem wich could be set to ntfs for larger files.
command looks like this: sudo woeusb --target-filesystem NTFS --device path/windows.iso /dev/sdx
unfortunately theres no way to choose that in the gui version.
(found here: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1097560/woeusb-error-code-256-with-ntfs-formatted-usb)

Status
Not open for further replies.