Wolverine Pirate Calls Charges ''Ridiculous''

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Well, technically.. he caused the box office to lose 4.1 million people in sales. Multiply that by 8 bucks.[/citation]

You cant prove that those people would have went to the movies to go see it. I know I sure wouldnt have and I didnt.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Those of you that think this guy committed no crime are morons. Maybe you should learn to read. The FBI warning on every commercial movie sold says you can be put in jail for 5 years and be fined even if you don't make any money from the stolen merchandise you obtained.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
he knew what he was doing...just like everyone that downloads torrents and other files, is it wrong? not really if you pay for it then decide to share it. it's like telling your best friend that he can't borrow the car because he did not pay for it. wtf?

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]So it's wrong to steal money but it's okay to burn money? Because, hey, he didn't make any money out of it!The punition is harsh, but the law is indeed the law. I don't care much when I see the FBI warning at the beginning of a movie, but it does say fines can reach $250 000. My guess is they want to make an example out of him to scare the others into doing the same thing.[/citation]

So I can pirate as much as I want since I dont see the FBI warning? My cracking software removes them...

SininStyle

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
This argument has been going on since cassette tapes and VHS was released. Ever copied a song off the radio with a cassette tape? recorded a movie onto VHS? how about giving a copy to your friends? Hell my 80+ yr old grandmother has multiple VHS tapes with copied movies, is she a pirate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbq_1Wy70rE

madbiker

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
I downloaded that version of the movie, was neat to watch and see an un-finished film, what was even neater than that, I rented it on Netflix when it came out. Im just wondering how much money they lost over me renting it the day it hit the shelf.

I stand firm on the opinion that people who viewed this upload did not avoid going to the theaters. It's my money, no where in my birth certificate does it say I HAVE to spend it to boost box office income. Sure you could argue the film production should be paid for thier products and I agree they should, but what's the difference, I rented it and never had any intention of paying $12 to veiw it and $15 for a soda and popcorn.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]it doesn't matter if you idiots think the movie sucked with your bad taste in anything. the fact is the movie caused damages because it released an unfinished movie that gave away the story of a movie they planned on releasingdo you think lord of the rings would have done as good as it did if someone released an unfinished version of that all over the net? or if someone was able to do this kind of thing before the empire strikes back giving away the shocking part of finding out Vader was Luke's father?this guys is just saying anything to try to win the case just like any of you losers would do in his position[/citation]

Actually Lord of the rings just like star wars probably would be the exception to the rule. We already knew the endings to those movies and most people didnt care. I know i didnt.

Hell I watched LOTR, and wolverine early and still went to see both
at the movies.

I had a cam of Hangover, and still watched it 3 times at the movies.
Now maybe im the exception I dont know, but I know most of the people
I know that do download, or get the disc from other sources if its
worth seeing they go watch it at the movies wether they have seen it
or not.

I hate cams so if its not a rip then im usually not going to watch it. But I never wanted to see wolverine, and like another person posted. I wanted to watch the leaked copy simply because it was
all over the news and I wanted to see what people where talking about. Just how cheesy it looked and blah blah. Then I went to see
the movie because I wanted to see how it all came together with
the special effects. Movie still sucked but it had its moments.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
This guy is going to get the book thrown at him... unfortunately. The real fiasco is them "attributing loss or gain" in gross sales from this distribution. That's retarded. This is where people, judges, don't understand pirating. I bet you out of all the people that saw the unfinished copy, most weren't going to bother to see it in theaters. And the ones that were going to see it in theaters, well, this was an unfinished copy watched on someone's computer screen. They probably went to go see it anyways in theaters if they really wanted to in the first place!!

G

Quote"This guy is going to get the book thrown at him..."

If he had only read the "book" instead of downloading the movie... None of this would have happened!

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
the chargesr are dumb as shit .. ok mnormally i'm very against illegal dowllaoding .. wcos it does hurt teh small guys in teh industry ..however .. as stated this was an unfinished version that had yet to get it's CGI treatments .... ??? hello , i doubt any one that viewed it , said "cool now i don't have to buy the movie ".

but oh wait people love just watching folks yapping infront of a green screen .. why would any one care for the finished cgi version ?

they need to roast his balls in hot oil THE BASTARD!!!
(that was a sacastic joke )

seriously this is a lot of BS

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Interesting comparisons to copying DVDs or recording on VHS or on tapes from the radio.This guy didn't make a copy for his Granny. This guy uploaded it to a site where the equivalent of the whole population of Los Angeles downloaded it.Perspective, if a cop catches you with a joint he confiscates it and gives you a slap on the wrist, but if he pulls you over in a panel van with 18 tonnes of the stuff going over the Mexican border then you are in deep shit.[/citation]

what kind of cops been busting you cos here in trexas they try to fry your ass over one joint

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I think he should pay $125,000 since he pirated a half made film. Hell, even cut the $125,000 in half since the movie wasn't worth half the wait.

G

You are all missing the point here. It’s that dang Korean guys fault, put him in jail. If Kim Jung II wasn’t selling pirated DVD’s on the street this would have never happened. Anyways what’s wrong with uploading your files to Megaupload? I torrent and upload all my important files like bank statements and tax documents, it’s like having free internet storage.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]a car doesnt get duplicated when you let your friend borrow it[/citation]

i am not saying that a car will be duplicated. let me give you another example: your friend wants to copy some pages from one of your books. are you not going to let him just because he did not pay for it? i guess not. the book is yours and you will do whatever you want with it even let your friend copy some pages or the whole book. in the same way this guy purchased the movie and he decided to share it with others. hope this example is a little better for you and make you understand what i am trying to say.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]shamgar[/nom]guess he should have just played crysis insead. but can he crysis!?!?!?!?[/citation]

How about, guess you can come up with a joke that isn't old a trillion time's over. But can you GET FRAKING LIFE?!

kthx.

jitpublisher

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
The reason I stopped buying CD's, DVD's and going to Movie Theaters was for this exact reason. I stopped buying NOT because of file sharing sites, but rather because of the reaction to by the industry to shut down sites and sue people. I still bought media and went to movies before they started this nonsense, now I will go to lengths to make certain they get as little of my money as possible. If it means waiting a year until a new release movie is on sale for 5.99 on DVD rack, that is what I do. I have not bought a CD in over 10 years, and I will never buy another one! ( or at least until a group comes along that can make something actually worth buying, lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS