Woman Faces Jail Time for Poke on Facebook

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]thejerk[/nom]It *is* Tennessee.[/citation]

WTF does the case being from TN have to do with anything? Per capita there are far more people with moments of intellectual difficulty in several other parts of the country. I am a law enforcement officer and last I checked we aren't even in the top ten when it comes to dumbass rankings.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
"While poking itself is pretty useless and doesn't do much..."

I think that describes MOST of the dumb applets on Facebook. If I had a nickle for every lost cow or mafia hit someone has sent me. I use facebook to keep in touch with folks who live all over the country, check it once every couple days, and once every couple weeks I might actually POST something. It's pretty obvious that some people LIVE on there.

BoxBabaX

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
[citation][nom]purplerat[/nom]No BS needed. People usually have restraining orders against people whom they know and were probably at one time on good terms with. Also a lot of people don't "live" on Facebook, constantly updating their status, friends, whatever. Chances are the two were friends on Facebook, had a falling out which led to the restraining order but neither bothered to remove the other from Facebook or other social networking sites. A poke - I'm guessing - would send some sort of notification to the person being contacted who might otherwise not have realized the connection still existed on Facebook.[/citation]

You can poke anyone on facebook, as long as they show up on a search. They do not need to be your friend.

-Facebook Guru

G

blahblahblah41 10/12/2009 5:53 PM
You can poke anyone even if they are not your friend. Unless the profile is private. Which if you have a restraining order on someone it most certainly should be a private profile.
-----
Hmmm, Facebook is a Social Network. People usually join to find onld friends, classmates and colleagues. Why should the victim make her profile private? She should be free to live her life unharrassed.

I will admit I spent time doing silly useless application but I have also found and been found by old friends which was the original point of joining Facebook.

G

If you were put in prison on 1th january, you would probably reconsider your statement. :)

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
When an order is pass in court for "NO CONTACT IN ANY FORM", that means any form. Phone, text, IM, in person, another person, etc.

Its there for a reason. And if you've been stalked, you'd want that and will call the police for any infraction of that order.

eccentric909

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]However, just like girls who dress slutty, this person with the facebook profile was clearly asking for it. If someone is harassing you, the first thing you do is make your profile private (and defriend them). If your neighbor is peeping on you, close the goddamn curtains!!![/citation]

Girls who dress slutty are asking for it? What exactly are they asking for? Attention? Probably. For someone to commit a crime against them, like sexual harassment or rape? Not at all.

Just because a woman dresses provacatively, doesn't give anyone a pass or an excuse for not being able to control themselves.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]What part of: you are not allowed to communicate with this person, didn't she understand?[/citation]
Well, poking isn't exactly communicating. However, in order to physically poke someone without breaking a restraining order, one would need a poking finger of at least 50 feet.

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Well, poking isn't exactly communicating. However, in order to physically poke someone without breaking a restraining order, one would need a poking finger of at least 50 feet.[/citation]

The simple act of initiating any kind of visual, verbal or physical interaction is enough to violate yourself in terms of a restraining order.

Pokeing is more then enough.

Why is it so hard for people to grasp the concept of stay the hell away, shut the hell up, and don't even look in their general direction?

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]Maybe someone hacked her account?[/citation]
This is something that would have to be considered... Perhaps this person doesnt even use facebook and someone else made the account.
Perhaps... the accuser actualy made the other persons account and then poked herself?!

Anyway, asuming this person really did use her own account and did the poke... Jail 4 you! total arogance and no respect for the law(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.