Woman Illegally Fired Over Facebook Remarks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You can be fired at any time for any reason that isnt discriminatory based on race, gender, sexual preference, or religion. They dont even have to give you a reason. If your boss finds out for a fact youve been talking shit about him ... poof... you're gone.

wmalinowski

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2006
"The board says that her comments are protected speech under labor laws,
and is virtually no different that talking at the water cooler."

WTF? So talking around water cooler that two people might hear is same as putting Facebook
page in which a million people could see it. Nice thinking there............

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]mastadisasta_31[/nom]Damn lazy Americans bitch because they have to actually do some work!! I would fire the dumb broad too! You want to bitch about it, well I will hire a foreigner to replace you and that person will work their ass off, with no complaints. But you sue and win even tho you deserved to be caned. Gota love America, this grap is what makes me wish 2012 really does go down.[/citation]

Im sorry isnt it EUROPE that has people rioting in the streets over having to work to the ripe old age of 62 instead of 60?

G

just another reason why you are a retard if you post anything online that is defamatory, unless you are sure it won't:
a) get you in to trouble
b) get traced back to you

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The way I see it is your don't bite the hand that feeds otherwise it will slap you. Regardless of what you think about someone your always gonna get idiots in charge. That's why you have the option to quit if your unhappy. By slandering she's created an awkward situation where not discriminating against her is impossible or at least perceived as impossible. People have a right to say what they want but like everything in life there should be consequences for your actions. Its on thing saying it quietly venting to friends, its another publicly slandering the company your work for. By her actions she could even be considered disgruntled and a security risk. Tbh I think they where justified in firing her from that point of view. Comes down to people have no common courtesy or sense these days.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]so posting disgusting, slanderous statements about a co-worker on Facebook is protected speech under labor laws, even if it goes against company rules and regulations. as long as it's on Facebook anything goes. no insubordination. no slander. it's like you have diplomatic immunity. thanks for letting me know. now whom should i start blasting away - the CEO or the GM?[/citation]

yopu sir an ilterate moron , either that or you didnt read the article to it's fullest

it said she used face book on her own time from her home , that is why it is ok. geezus by yoru reasonign bosses should be able to fire people over what they think any time of the day,
quite hoenstly i'm sicka dbn tired of how far coperations are allowed to pentrate peopel's private lives jsut because the work for said corperation , it's not as if she blasted away at her boss adn named in on the companies web site. you can't fire some one over thier personal feeliong expressed off teh clock and at thier home , so why should some one be allowed to fire some one over what they say on face book , at thier home and off the clock.

I agree the woman should have used better judgment, but the law says she did no wrong well teh alw is the law regardless of what some one thinsk aobut it.

distanted

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]yopu sir an ilterate moron ...[/citation]

That's meant to be irony, right? What law are you referring to that says she did no wrong???? Unless her boss is actually a mental patient, she may have commited libel against him, for which the law says he could seek damages. If she posted these comments in a public portion of her facebook account, she damaged the image of her company for all the world to see. If it was in a private section, she still showed poor judgement in deciding who could view it because it got back to the company. Freedom of Speech is a protection from persecution from the government, it does not protect you when violating company policies about not discussing the company online. It also does not protect libel (if she can't back up that statement).

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
on the basis that Employers and prospective Employers use Facebook to find things out about people they have working for them along with people wanting to work from them, I think people should seriously think about what they say on Facebook and other such inane mediums

I am often reminding my other half to be careful what she says on Facebook, even if she says nothing bad - companies use Facebook to see what sort of person you are

it does not matter that its a personal thing and you might only be messaging your family and friends.....

the world does not owe you a living - it is not a right

if a company thinks you are not the right sort of person to work with them then that is their choice

what is wrong with using e-mail - or even using IM

normano

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]yopu sir an ilterate moron , either that or you didnt read the article to it's fullest it said she used face book on her own time from her home , that is why it is ok. geezus by yoru reasonign bosses should be able to fire people over what they think any time of the day,quite hoenstly i'm sicka dbn tired of how far coperations are allowed to pentrate peopel's private lives jsut because the work for said corperation , it's not as if she blasted away at her boss adn named in on the companies web site. you can't fire some one over thier personal feeliong expressed off teh clock and at thier home , so why should some one be allowed to fire some one over what they say on face book , at thier home and off the clock. I agree the woman should have used better judgment, but the law says she did no wrong well teh alw is the law regardless of what some one thinsk aobut it.[/citation]

it does not matter about laws and rules - if you upset your bosses sooner or later you will find yourself unemployed. Think about it!!!

they might not have grounds to dismiss you instantly, but if there is to be a round of redundancies (especially in this climate) you will be one of the first names on it - unions and lawyers can do nothing to help you when that happens

time people grew up and stopped looking for a scapegoat when something bad happens to them

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
"If employees are upset about their supervisor and get together on their own time talk about him, criticize and call him names, they can do that."

She sure can. If the employer wants to get rid of her whining ass I dont see why they would not be able to do so.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The board says that her comments are protected speech under labor laws, and is virtually no different that talking at the water cooler.

So basically you can talk all the smack about your boss that you want at the water cooler and your boss is not allowed to fire you for it? Somehow that does not seem right..

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]Yeah she should be fired for making comments on her own virtual property about her boss. And I should be jailed for my "George W. Bush is Crazy" bumper sticker. Which I've had on for the last 9 years mind you.I'm wondering, if they even bothered to giver her boss a psychiatric review.[/citation]

If you were working for the White House at the time that he was president, OF COURSE you should be fired. If a general can be fired for making comments, why should she be immune? The medium is irrelevant here.

justice9

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
I'm happy to see someone is finally getting somewhere with this. I personally had the same issue. I was a victim of being forced out after 13years of employment with a company. I was being picked on and eventually it was causing issues with my health and well being. I could not get the help I needed and finally had to quit a job that I loved. Wish there were people in my area that would have taken the time to see what is becoming a growing problem. The sad thing is I posted " I don't want to go to hell tomorrow" and it was printed out and put in my file. I in no way stated the name of the company in that. I also did it on my own time and on my own computer.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]jay236[/nom]This is why I don't have managers/potential rats from work on my facebook[/citation]

Bah, this is why I don't have WasteBook period. I got better things to do like sleep...work...minecraft...exercise...etc.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]You can be fired at any time for any reason that isnt discriminatory based on race, gender, sexual preference, or religion. They dont even have to give you a reason. If your boss finds out for a fact youve been talking shit about him ... poof... you're gone.[/citation]
I don't know if all states are "At Will" states, but there something fundamentally wrong with at will, it scares the s**t out of me to think that working towards your retirement, that a company can let you just when your about to collect your pension.

o0RaidR0o

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]Im sorry isnt it EUROPE that has people rioting in the streets over having to work to the ripe old age of 62 instead of 60?[/citation]
Yeah but during those 60yrs their working their ass off, while us Americans are hanging around the water cooler doing as little as possible because whats the use. It's a catch 22, years ago you could retire from a private or public company but it seems fewer, and fewer are capable of doing this. How many times have we read a company files for bankruptcy to avoid paying any retirements, or they let you go in your last year again to avoid paying any retirement funds. Outside the auto industry we don't make anything any more, we've become the third world service supplier.

s10blazed

Distinguished
May 10, 2005
I recently began working for a company that had a clause in the contract about posting job/co-worker related stuff on social media websites. It was a whole separate document to read and sign that went along with the other standard company rules. Basically it said if you make ANY comment about the company (good or bad) it is a violation of the employment agreement. Which is grounds for termination in and of itself.

Perhaps this company had a similar rule in effect? (Doesn't seem like it though)

Status
Not open for further replies.