Woman Sues Facebook After Getting Banned

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
She violated the rules and got banned. What's the problem?

Once again, you can sue anyone for anything (you may not win), if you can find a lawyer willing to take on a case. This is a likely losing case, but think of how much press will be generated.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
OMG she drove over 200km all the way just to complain about banned fb account with a bipolar disorder... humanity is degrading...

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]I'm going to sue her for misrepresenting people with bipolar disorder.[/citation]

being bipolar myself, and living with this terrible mental affliction that makes day to day life a challenge, i take some offense to this. please have some compasion before you speak. honestly it was probably the bipolar disorder that made it acceptable to her to drive cross country to begin with, and many bipolars even with medication are like this and worse simply because the right meds for certian degrees of bipolar havent been created yet.

guzz46

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
My facebook account got banned through no fault of mine, it got hacked two times in a week then i receive an e-mail saying my account has been banned, so i gave up on facebook after that

face-plants

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]7amood[/nom]OMG she drove over 200km all the way just to complain about banned fb account with a bipolar disorder... humanity is degrading...[/citation]

Driving from Maryland to Mountain View, California is about 2900 miles or 4800km.....a 48 hour drive without stops. Just to put things into perspective.

The biggest question I have about this story is why driving to California was her FIRST step in challenging Facebook's decision.... even though they said specifically the decision was final and couldn't be appealed.

"Young decided to appeal anyway – by hopping into her station wagon and driving all the way from Maryland to Facebook's office in California."

Call me crazy but it probably would have been easier to make a few phone calls, send some e-mails or letters, or ask a lawyer if she had any recourse BEFORE driving 3000 miles cross-country.

Isn't it quite common for any type of website, newsgroup, forum, or even online game to reserve the right to ban you permanently at their discretion? It's not like you have a constitutional right to have a Facebook page. She was using a free service online, violated their terms in several ways and suffered the consequences.

Just think if she put all this effort into raising cancer awareness. It might have actually done some good.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I love her "lawsuit" - I put it in quotes because it will be dismissed with prejudice at the first request of Facebook. Obviously, as the Judge has already seen, no rights have been violated. It does not appear a lawyer is involved for her. If there was, the complaint wouldn't be so vague and no lawyer would have supported the ADA violation because no such violation has occurred (in fact, I am not even sure what she is implying/meaning/trying to accomplish saying her ADA rights have been violated...).

My favorite part is when the secretary brushed off the woman's crazy long drive as nothing. I bet that dashed her spirits right there.

Amazingly, this woman is trying to get attention for herself. Her real disability is being a complete moron. All this attention makes her look like a complete idiot. She will not get sympathy from disable groups, constitutional rights groups, or anybody.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Why in the hell would you get banned for sending a friend request to someone you don't know? That makes no sense. What if you're adding someone because you think they're someone you're trying to reconnect with, when actually they're someone with a common name? Now, if they would've said repeatedly adding the same persons you don't know, that'd make more sense because that may be considered stalking.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Who cares if she amassed 4000 friends she didn't know?
If I get a friend request I don't have to accept
Also
If she starts sending me wierd messages I can remove her from my friends list
Easy
She is not the biggest nutjob on the internet, there are way worse

RabidFace

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2009
I RARELY use Facebook for the fact, just about all my friends on FB, I know in Real-Life, and have their phone numbers, know where they live, or old friends that I have met up with again because of Facebook. But, not to meet random people, or spread my "message" to the world.

I stopped using Myspace a LONG time ago for the fact of this lady right here. People spamming their "message", whatever it may be.

Now, I think her wanting to AWARE people of these disorders is in good spirit, I don't doubt there were some people that complained about her, and probably her 1000+ Wall posts a day and force feeding people information they don't want/care about.

"Facebook is supposed to ADD to your current life, not BE YOUR life."

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]rabidface[/nom]I stopped using Myspace a LONG time ago for the fact of this lady right here. People spamming their "message", whatever it may be[/citation]
She is not solely to blame
You have to accept a friend request in order to get her "message"
Just ignore the friend request
If you do accept a friend request then regret it because you get spammed then?
Remove friend!
Why is this so hard for people to get?

tallpaul02

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]She is not solely to blameYou have to accept a friend request in order to get her "message"[/citation]
no, people can message you without being a "friend" of your account

hitman40

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]She is not solely to blameYou have to accept a friend request in order to get her "message"Just ignore the friend requestIf you do accept a friend request then regret it because you get spammed then?Remove friend!Why is this so hard for people to get?[/citation]

Apparently, you didn't read the part where she was trying to promote cancer awareness. Even I admit, that I was about to skip the rest of the article until my eyes hit those 2 words, I advise for you to do the same

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS