Woman Sues Facebook After Getting Banned

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tallpaul02

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]hitman40[/nom]Apparently, you didn't read the part where she was trying to promote cancer awareness. Even I admit, that I was about to skip the rest of the article until my eyes hit those 2 words, I advise for you to do the same[/citation]what she was trying to promote is not relevant really. she was still violating the rules by which she agreed to abide. thus, as outlined in the agreement she made, her account was cancelled. its plain and simple.

it is possible to spam someone for a good cause. its still spam.

Nightsilver

Distinguished
May 4, 2007
Derp. Suing a provider of a free service makes sense. Like all those nutjobs who got their underwear in a bunch when gmail had a brief outage a while ago.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I'm not a big facebook person, and I really haven't seen any pages end up on search terms that much, but maybe she should concentrate on being a good place to go for information, have good articles, do some good promotion of yourself and maybe search engines will rank you higher?

What she did was against Facebook TOS, plain and simple. Cancer awareness sure, but go about it right, don't spam people till they are indifferent to cancer issues. That just works against your goal.

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
Did someone tell her about myspace or twitter?
Anyways she was spamming people and is sewing over this right of a free provided "as is" service. Like any good, maintained site should have done: Ban-hammer

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
So basically.. sounds like she was SPAMing people. For those of you the support her cause.. let me get this straight. You think it's ok to SPAM as long as you have a good cause?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hitman40[/nom]Apparently, you didn't read the part where she was trying to promote cancer awareness. Even I admit, that I was about to skip the rest of the article until my eyes hit those 2 words, I advise for you to do the same[/citation]
I did read that bit, and as my esteemed colleague above noted, Cancer awareness spam is still spam.
There is an option for report/block this person.
So.
BLOCK
No more "messages", even passive ones.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]hitman40[/nom]Apparently, you didn't read the part where she was trying to promote cancer awareness. Even I admit, that I was about to skip the rest of the article until my eyes hit those 2 words, I advise for you to do the same[/citation]

This past weekend here in Toronto, Ontario(that's in Canada)there was a walk-a-thon called "weekend to end women's cancer" in which they raised $10.8 million dollars towards cancer research.

How much did the lady in this article raise? She didn't. She raised negative dollars by driving all the way to california for what? For nothing basically.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]This past weekend here in Toronto, Ontario(that's in Canada)there was a walk-a-thon called "weekend to end women's cancer" in which they raised $10.8 million dollars towards cancer research.How much did the lady in this article raise? She didn't. She raised negative dollars by driving all the way to california for what? For nothing basically.[/citation]
She should have walked to California and got people to sponsor her

random_guy417

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
If she was trying to promote cancer awareness, she should have created a cause or a group or whatever those things are called. Instead, she violated the terms of use by sending random people friend requests. 99% of the time someone I don't know sends me a friend request, I report them (at least, I did when I still used facebook). She deserved what she got and will not win this lawsuit.

G

Doing this does not give a good name to whatever organization you try to promote!

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]xrodney[/nom]Facebook rules are f****d up.They don't clearly define rules.They even f*****g propose friends, I was temporary banned for adding "mutual friends" too fast (evidently 15 minutes delay is still too fast).Perhaps they should ban games on facebook, because without them everyone will have 5-10 friends instead of 1k+, but hey they make money from them.Facebook should redefine and clearly state what rules are of they will end up in court much often!![/citation]

if you don't like it. how about just don't use it ?

whats the point to act like a bxxxh ?

G

I could walk to Facebook HQ In Downtown Palo Alto Ca. It just 1/3 mile away from I live midtown Palo Alto Ca.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
Use Myspace stupid lady. No one gives a hoot on there. Facebook is boring anyway, I can't fathom why she would waste her money to drive to their office. Get a new email and sign up again.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
i wanna /facepalm. She could have just created a different account and used a slightly different name. Jeeze my cat has a facebook page.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I rely exclusively on Facebook for meeting girls and sex. I didn't have to approach a woman or go to a bar or a nightclub for five years and I don't plan to do so in the future... unless they ban me.

Status
Not open for further replies.