Word documents display in gibberish(unicode?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoorhay

Estimable
Sep 9, 2014
I ran malwarebytes the other day to clean a couple issues I was having with a laptop. After doing so my word documents no longer open up normally. They display the characters as some strange encoding. Is there anyway to display them in "Not Gibberish"?

The font has been set to various different normal fonts, but still nothing.

Any ideas?

Solution
It's remotely possible you were in the middle of a ransomware attack that was encrypting your files. It's also likely that the files or Word itself has been corrupted.

Easiest chase here is to try opening the documents in something other than Word to see if there's readable text (Maybe LibreOffice), or try repairing/reinstalling Word.

Saberus

Honorable
Aug 23, 2013
It's remotely possible you were in the middle of a ransomware attack that was encrypting your files. It's also likely that the files or Word itself has been corrupted.

Easiest chase here is to try opening the documents in something other than Word to see if there's readable text (Maybe LibreOffice), or try repairing/reinstalling Word.

Solution

Joemari Asencio

Estimable
Apr 2, 2015
I think your document file is corrupted cause by the malwarebyte. try to repair the file

To open a specific document by using the Open and Repair feature in Word, follow these steps:
Start Word.
On the File menu, click Open.

In the Open dialog box, click to select the file that you want to open.
Click the down arrow on the Open button, and then click Open and Repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.