Workstation video card

mkhofer

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
Hello,
I am ready to by laptop for 3D drawing for solid edge dose it really need a nvidio quadro card or can i get away with a cheaper one?

Solution
Generally CAD programs are only officially supported by professional cards... but sometimes you can get away with using only High End consumer cards, with a performance penalty... If you're going to do a lot of CAD work for your job, then i'd suggest getting a professional card like Quadro or FirePro or the such, but if you're in school and you just happen to be taking a class that needs CAD, i think a consumer card would work fine.

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Generally CAD programs are only officially supported by professional cards... but sometimes you can get away with using only High End consumer cards, with a performance penalty... If you're going to do a lot of CAD work for your job, then i'd suggest getting a professional card like Quadro or FirePro or the such, but if you're in school and you just happen to be taking a class that needs CAD, i think a consumer card would work fine.

Solution