Status
Not open for further replies.

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Getting my first smartphone, and as it turns out there's a pretty vast world of smartphones out there. I hadn't even heard of a Windows Phone, but the concept sounds pretty awesome to me, as I'm a really computer-oriented person and we can just say I don't use Mac. My original plan was just to get an iPhone as they seem pretty straightforward and would be able to do most things I would want/need. I just don't know where to start with all the selection, or what I should even be looking for in a phone.

g-unit1111

Distinguished
Well the Windows Phone 8 operating system is pretty much more or less the start menu interface of the Windows 8 OS. It's basically the live tiles of the start menu, but unlike the Microsoft Surface it does not have the ability to access the Windows desktop. If that's appealing to you then Windows Phone 8 will be an ideal system for you.

iOS is about the most basic smart phone / tablet OS you can get.

Me personally I'm an Android fan and my last two phones have been Android - a Samsung Galaxy and the HTC One I've had for the last couple of months. I love the HTC One, it's easily the best smart phone I've ever had. Giant screen, full HD 1080P resolution, custom Android 4.2 interface, great sound system, HDMI output capability, you cannot go wrong.

TechnoD

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I just recently got a smartphone, and I can't help but recommend the Nokia Lumia line of windows phones. I have the 928, but their are other variants, based on carriers. Its a fantastic phone, and after using an iphone, android, and now windows phone, i can tell you that the windows phone (for me) has increased my productivity over the other 2 phones.
If your looking for productivity (and camera if you go with a nokia), then the nokia windows phones are for you
Granted, iphone and android both have their own pros, but i found the 928 to be the best choice for me
Good luck on your search!
TechnoD

chain220

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
I appreciate both of your inputs, and I hadn't really considered much android. I'm not really looking for productivity, I'm just an average college student. One of the things I was considering was which app market is.. "better" I guess for lack of a good word. More vast. I know nothing about the Windows Phone market, and I know android and iOS have similar app markets.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I've read extremely mixed reviews of Windows Phone 8. It's either people really love it or really hate it. There seems to be no in between. Sprint has a couple of options for Windows Phone - the new Samsung ATIV and the HTC 8XT, I don't think either one are comparable to the Nokia 1020 though.

I appreciate both of your inputs, and I hadn't really considered much android. I'm not really looking for productivity, I'm just an average college student. One of the things I was considering was which app market is.. "better" I guess for lack of a good word. More vast. I know nothing about the Windows Phone market, and I know android and iOS have similar app markets.

If you want app support get Android or iPhone, no other phone system's app store even remotely comes close to matching what's available for Android and iOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.