World's First Solid-State Battlefield Laser Now On Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Wouldnt you have to be too close to your target to make this worth while on a tank? Tanks dont usually fire at objects in the sky and you can only hit objects within your line of sight, so anything beyond the horizon or on the other side of a hill or mountain would be safe from this weapon. I mean, friggin lazers are cool and all, but I dont think the best application for this device is on a tank.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Looks at the facts: very high power, portable, limited firing time, unlimited range. All you'd need is a big spinning mirror and you could vaporize a human target from space.

Mr_Man

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2008
[citation][nom]computerninja7823[/nom]the best application for this is probably a jet fighter or something. or a highly maneuverable jeep like thing.[/citation]
A Warthog with a laser attachment. Yes.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Looks at the facts: very high power, portable, limited firing time, unlimited range. All you'd need is a big spinning mirror and you could vaporize a human target from space.[/citation]

Kent's tracking system is gone! Someone get the popcorn!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I've always wondered why they don't use lasers on submarines. You would think that a nuclear powered sub could carry a capacitor to charge up a laser just fine, even if it has to temporarily disable half of the sub's systems for a minute. Even if it couldn't fire underwater due to water and dirt particle diffraction, it could still offer AA support along ocean fronts. Plus, if the laser missed an enemy jet, maybe it could "accidentally" take out a spying communist satellite or catch the attention of some extra-terrestrials.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]Pei-chen[/nom]A laser against what? Personal, armor, air?[/citation]

This would most likely be anti-personnel. Tanks have the biggest issues with anti-tank mines (throw out in front of the tank) and hand held armor-piercing RPGs. They don't face other tanks all that much because if a tank is detected it's usually taken out by our huge air force.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]blackened144[/nom]Looks at the facts: very high power, portable, limited firing time, unlimited range. All you'd need is a big spinning mirror and you could vaporize a human target from space.[/citation]

How do you know it has unlimited range? Lasers have limited ranges. Ever hear of diffraction?

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]JonnyDough[/nom]I've always wondered why they don't use lasers on submarines. You would think that a nuclear powered sub could carry a capacitor to charge up a laser just fine, even if it has to temporarily disable half of the sub's systems for a minute. Even if it couldn't fire underwater due to water and dirt particle diffraction, it could still offer AA support along ocean fronts.[/citation]
Because that gives away the sub's position and puts it into a role for which it's not suited. Let naval ships carry the AA lasers.
Or put them on sharks.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]Because that gives away the sub's position and puts it into a role for which it's not suited. Let naval ships carry the AA lasers. Or put them on sharks.[/citation]

I would think that firing surface to surface and surface to air missles would give away sub's positions as well...

That IS a large part of what our submarines do you know. They don't just patrol the waters around the world looking for fish.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
Sorry, I was 5 when that movie came out and my folks were religious conservatives, but it looks like a classic. I shall add it to my Netflix queue. For future reference, it helps to cite the movie from which you are quoting. Not everyone loves Val Kilmer. Although I would have to digress that I can't hate him.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]miltoxbeyond[/nom]Dude mall-cops need this. Segways with lazers man...I can see it now: "Stop thief! Pew Pew!"[/citation]

They have these in the non-lethal variety, without all the fancy cold fusion mumbo jumbo (Ref. - Kilmer, The Saint). I believe they're called Tazers.

From somewhere in the middle east, in whatever country we happen to be occupying:

"Don't laser me man! Don't laser me!" in an Arabic tongue which few of us here understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.