Worm:Win32/Gamarue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
Microsoft Security Security essentials indicated that my desktop was infected with worm:win32/gamarue.B. It said it was removed, but the task manager showed it as running. I ended the task and I am running a full system virus scan. It seems that the worm first infected the computer on 12/5. The history says allowed then removed. It seems to be running at start up. I shut down the computer every night. Any suggestions? I am posting from my laptop which is not infected...at least so far. Thanks in advance for your help. The full scan said it found no threats.

aford10

Distinguished

You don't need to. It can be ran in safe mode with networking.

If you want to create a boot disc to scan the drive, try the AVG rescue disc from the guide.

verbalizer

Distinguished
May 28, 2010

alien01-alien-peace-smiley-emoticon.gif

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

He plays games on this one...so one can only guess! He is always asking if he can download something or other. Although I think this worm might have come in with an email. The MSE history shows it making it's way to my system at 4:40 am and 6:40 am and then being removed about 10 minutes after. Should I leave these detection notices in my history? As long as it says it was removed it's ok right? Not sure about the one that says it was allowed.

Family's good. The boy is mad because I won't let him use my laptop while I clean this one...poor baby. :)

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011
It does not show in the allowed section...just that it was allowed in the history. The allowed items only and quarantined items only sections are empty.

I am thinking maybe I should try a different virus protection program....hmmm....because now I feel a little paranoid!

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Hi 51. I burned this download...it was under a random name. I found it by the date and time of the download. Should I just load it on the computer? My email is acting strange. I don't know if it is something verizon has changed or something more ominous. Thanks.

44surf

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2011

Hi 51~I am currently running the app on my desktop...the system with the worm. So far it has found 738 threats...adware tracking cookies. I should probably run it on our laptop also. Should I delete the download first? Or does it not matter? Hope my question makes sense.

ETA And one trojen. Sheeesh!

Status
Not open for further replies.