Would Expired Film Still Work?

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
First off, I know I put this under "Digital Cameras," but this was the best fit.

I recently got some 35mm film ranging from ISO 100 to ISO 400. It all expired around 1999 (give or take a year or two), and I was wondering if it would still work fine if I exposed it a bit longer? Say, if it's telling me to shoot at 1/500, could I bump that down to 1/250 or something and it would work fine? I'd just like to use it if possible. I know who gave it to me, and they said they kept it in a closet for a long time. So it wasn't refrigerated, but it wasn't sitting in a warehouse or something and they were all still sealed. Any thoughts? I know I could just try a roll and get it developed, but I'd like to not spend $10 to get it developed and have it come out horrible.

Thanks in advance!

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Should I compensate the exposure some?

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
Take test shots of a single item in a controlled environment and just change all your settings one by one (write down the order you do them in) then get it developed. Check the photos against the settings you wrote down. That should give you a good idea of what kind of result to expect from it.

The older the film is the more weird its results will be, contrast, color range, ISO value.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Try both and as why_wolf indicated, keep a record to verify results.

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
Alright. Thanks guys! I think I'll give that a try. Didn't I hear something along the lines of there is a rule of thumb saying stop down 1 stop for each decade it's expired?

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Welp, sounds to me like paying the $10 for four new rolls of film is going to be cheaper than that. Oh well, thanks!

sciamwow

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015

Yeah, I am interested. Maybe once I have a bit more money and I'm not worried about going into college and all I'll try it