Would the ASUS G75VW-TH72 be too heavy for College, and...

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Well,

It's a gaming laptop so it will be heavier than a normal one (it weighs ~4.5kg), and thats pretty heavy. In the end it depends on you, as you will be the one carrying it. Gaming laptops are not the most portable, nor do they have the best battery life (you might have to carry your charger with you). However if you are willing to live with those compromises than you will have a pretty powerful desktop alternative.
Asus makes some nice laptops, but it all comes down to how you configure it. Overall Alienware, although I find it overpriced, offers some of the best laptop designs. They usually offer more powerful graphic cards too. Overall I would recommend Asus, Alienware, or Origin if you are looking for a gaming laptop.

Then again you are spending close to $2000 for this, so you chould get an ultrabook or something more portable for ~$800-1000, and spend the rest on a nice gaming desktop.

Hope this helps!

Green Arrow

Honorable
May 9, 2013
I have no idea what to get. I'm leaning towards the Sager NP9150 or the Ideapad Y500 with the 750m. But, I know Asus makes pretty darn good laptops. I just cant decide:(

I'm not really looking for an Ultrabook, but 8.60lbs is a lot of weight, but the compromise is awesome specs.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Have you considered getting both a laptop and desktop separately? That would allow for portability when your in class, and when your in your dorm you could use a desktop. Personally i'm not sure if I would carry around so much weight, and I usually prefer desktops as they offer more performance in general.

Green Arrow

Honorable
May 9, 2013

I have thought of it, but I opted it out since I got a $1500 limit. I don't know if I could get a prebuilt Desktop for that much, and I would much rather have a laptop than a Desktop.

Also my dorm is REALLY cramped. I don't have enough space for a Desktop.

$1,500 is enough for both a laptop and a desktop. A decent laptop can be bought for under $500 leaving $1,000+ for the desktop. You can also scrape by with a netbook for $250 if you really don't care about playing games on a netbook. That leaves $1,250 for the desktop. If you build the desktop yourself then you can look at mATX cases and motherboards. They are not quite as expandable as full size ATX cases with ATX motherboards since mATX comes with fewer expansion slots. But it will be a lot more expandable than a laptop when you feel the urge to upgrade.

The following Acer Aspire V3-551G-8454 Notebook has an AMD A8-4500 APU and a dedicated Radeon HD 7670m for $500. It will give you decent gaming performance if you need a quick fix away from the desktop. It should be capable of running non graphic intensive games at medium quality. That excludes games like Metro 2033, Far Cry 3, and Crysis 3.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663

Dropping down to a $400 laptop can get you the ASUS K55N-DS81 Notebook with an AMD A8-4500M and it's integrated Radeon HD 7640G graphic core. Less powerful than the above laptop, but it is also cheaper and still give you a quick fix for games away from your desktop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230960

If you want an inexpensive Intel based laptop then you can consider the $400 Lenovo G580 with an i3-3120m CPU and thhe integrated Intel HD 4000 graphics core. Intel has actually come a long way in a short period of time regarding gaming performance for their graphics core. The 1st real attempt was the previous generation Intel HD 3000. While Intel has made great strides with the current HD 4000 graphics core it is slower than the Radeon HD 7640g graphic core.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312429

Asus_USA

Honorable
May 1, 2013
The G75 is one heck of a gaming laptop, but it's huge. If you don't plan on moving it around too much, I would highly recommend it. If you want to be a bit more mobile, take a look at out G46VW. Still pretty strong, but a lot smaller than its big brother.