Would this GPU work with my Laptop?

Solution
Technically it should work.

Just realize that you are using an adapter to connect another adapter to adapt a graphics card. Therefore, there is a possibility that it may not work or provide be optimal performance. The only way to know if it will work is to try it.
D

Deleted member 1697763

Thunderbolt supports up to 10gbps each way currently and expresscard 2.0 uses 7.5gbps at most so from that technical standpoint it should work.

Oct 11, 2013

I see. But will the laptop detect the GPU as an actual usable video card?

D

Deleted member 1697763

That's where it gets a bit tricky - some laptops work fine with external graphics while some are really finicky and require LOTS of tweaking for them to work. They may only work partly anyway. You may want to look at something like this too - it will replace the mini pci port that the wireless adapter is currently plugged into.

Oct 11, 2013

I have been looking at the EXP GDC Beast Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock that you mention. I'm sure that it will work - but i don't want to open up to my motherboard and remove my wireless adapter frequently.. I need a fast dock/undock solution, which the ViDock + expresscard to thunderbolt offers..

Technically it should work.

Just realize that you are using an adapter to connect another adapter to adapt a graphics card. Therefore, there is a possibility that it may not work or provide be optimal performance. The only way to know if it will work is to try it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS