Would this laptop be able to handle most games at high performance?

after glow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I was thinking of getting a HP Pavilion dv7-6154ea with the follow specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM (2 GHz (2.9GHz max turbo freq), 6 MB L3 Smart Cache)

Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

RAM - 8 GB DDR3

Graphics card - Dedicated AMD Radeon HD 6490M

Screen type - HD+ High-Definition LED HP BrightView Display

Screen resolution - 1600 x 900

Screen size - 17.3"

Hard drive - 2 x 500 GB SATA Hard Disk Drive 5400 rpm

Optical disk drive - Blu-ray ROM with SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Double Layer

Memory card reader - Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader

Ive got a £1000ish budget (could possibly be slightly more). So if the above laptop will not be sufficient for high/max graphics on most games could someone suggest one that could and is near my budget? Im hoping to play games like new FPSs (Battlefield etc), RPGs (Skyrim etc) and RTSs (Starcraft 2 etc). And watching films/ making notes at university. Thanks.

The laptop will not allow you to play games at high settings. The Radeon HD 6490m is considered a moderately low end laptop graphics card. You would need something significantly more powerful.

You need something like the nVidia GT 555M or an AMD Radeon HD 6770m to be able to play many (not all) games at high settings. Battlefield 3 will require an even more powerful graphics card. You will probably need to drop down to a dual core CPU to get a laptop within your budget. I am unfamiliar with UK website so I don't know what laptops are within your budget.

Click the following link for relative performance ranking of laptop graphic cards... and some listed benchmarks.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

It would not. The CPU is fine, but the GPU isn't up to the task.
Radeon HD 6490M is an entry level laptop graphics card.

Also consider if something that big and heavy is something you want to haul around to your classes. See if you can find something about the same size and weight to test with.

Actually, I forgot to notice the resolution of the laptop you intend on buying which is 1600 x 900.

All the "high" benchmarks in the above link are only for 1366 x 768 resolution.

All the "ultra" benchmarks are based on 1920 x 1080 resolution.

Basically that means you are looking for one of the top tier graphics cards especially if you want to run Battlefield 3 at 1600 x 900 resolution. My advice is:

1. Increase your budget.
2. Lower your expectations.
3. Opt for a lower resolution screen or just play at lower resolution.

after glow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Okay, so we've established the the laptop is not adequate for high end gaming. Can anyone suggest a laptop that will do the job? If I really have to push it I may be able stretch the budget to £1200, but no more. Thanks.

after glow

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012

Hmmm I've only been able to find this one so far, HOWEVER it is coming from the United States.

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Processor 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2670QM processor 2.20GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10 GHz

Processor speed 2.2GHz

Memory 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 DIMM) ; Maximum supported = 16GB

Accessible memory slots 2

Display 17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)

Video graphics Radeon HD 6770M switchable graphics with 2048MB GDDR5 and up to 6373MB total graphics memory

DigitalWarlord

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
Must you absolutely have a laptop? I mean everyone's lifestyle is different, but personally, I have a gaming rig that I build for roughly $900, and a laptop that cost me close to $400... I game at home but still use the laptop for multimedia...and even to do some 3d modeling (as it has a phenom x4). Just a thought...