Would this laptop be good to buy as 2nd hand for gaming and work?

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I have been looking at second hand laptops. I found this an asus-g75vx listed by a seller on kijiji which seems good but I am not sure if it is or if I could get a better laptop brand new for the money I am willing to spend.

Here is the link to the laptop I saw for sale second hand.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-laptops/kingston-on/asus-g75vx-premium-gamer-i7-120gb-sdd-750gb-hdd-16-gb-ram/1113868998?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I am currently looking to purchase a laptop primarily for work. Mostly at work I would like the ability to use the laptop for surfing the internet, watching movies, working on office programs, programming C/C++/Visual Basic.

When not at work I would like to consider using the laptop for gaming if possible.

I prefer primarily to buy the laptops from www.canadacomputers.com or www.ncix.com as they are Canadian companies and are close by to me.

1. What is your budget? $1000.00 CANADIAN before taxes

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Minimum 15 Inch or higher

3. What screen resolution do you want? Decent screen resolution for work.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Portable - Plan to use it at work

5. How much battery life do you need? 4 to 6 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

The types of games I do play on my desktop are steam games. Games like farcry 3, cs:go, sniper elite 3, team fortress 2, payday 2, etc.

Additional things I would like to do:

Surfing the internet
Connect to wireless networks
Watching streaming videos/movies
Email
Office programs
Using the laptop to install and learn about Linux Operating System
Using the laptop to install and learn about Windows 7 Professional Edition 64 bit edition
Using the laptop to install and learn Windows XP Professional
The ability to connect to Windows 2003/2008 server environments

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop?

I want a laptop that I can create a dual boot system using Linux Redhat, Windows XP and Windows 7
Laptop must have wireless connectivity to internet
Decent sound and graphics
Surfing the internet
Watching streaming videos/movies
Email
Office Programs (Word, Powerpoint, Excel, Access)
Programming Using C++/Visual Basic.Net

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

I don't as I don't store or use many files that are huge. 250GB to 1TB is ideal if possible

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

www.canadacomputers.com
www.ncix.com
www.tigerdirect.com

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

2 to 5 years tops

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I do need a dvd burner to write files to.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Not too concerned on brands as long as it works for my intended needs.

13. What country do you live in?

Canada

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Laptop must be easy to take apart if I need to upgrade or replace components such as RAM or the Harddrive.

Solution
Well, it's a pretty good deal if it lasts at least 2 or 3 more years, but it's obviously a crappy deal if it lasts 6 months. Probably not having a warranty, it IS a crap shoot. I'm not going to advise for or against you purchasing it because of that. Like I said, I loved mine, and it was very well-built, and had an excellent cooling system. I only sold it because of sudden financial problems. Sorry I'm not more help.

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
I am really looking for an answer on asus-g75vx that I see for sale is worth purchasing 2nd hand.

The person appears to be willing to accept best offers. What I am curious about is the laptop listed worth purchasing at $835.00 2nd hand or that money better spent else where.

The laptop looks good from my standpoint: i7 4th gen processor, backlit keyboard, Video / Graphics:Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB, 750 gb hd and 120 ssd, GENUINE MS Office Pro 2016 installed, windows 10 professional edition, 1 year Norton anti-virus,

The same laptop sells brand new at ncix for 1399.00 here:

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=77456

Only difference I see is that this one comes with a SSD installed with office and nortons.

I just don't really know laptops that well and would like an honest opinion from someone who does.

The person has listed the specs as follows:

Configuration / Specs

Brand: Asus
Type: Premium Gamer
Size: 17.3”
Color: Brushed Silver Alumimum Chassis ^ Black Accents
Processor: Intel Core i7-3630QM
Ram: 16GB DDR 3
Hardrive: HDD 750 GB 7200RPM + SSD 120 GB
Video / Graphics:Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
DVD/BluRay: DVD Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
Webcam: Yes
Card Reader: Yes
USB: x4
Bluetooth:4.0
Other: 17.3-Inch FHD (1920x1080) True High Def, Premium Sound, Back Lit Keyboard, Bluetooth.
Software

GENUINE Windows 8.1 Pro UPGRADED To Win 10 Pro
GENUINE MS Office Pro 2016
ALL CURRENT ( NOVEMBER 2015 ) MICROSOFT/WINDOWS UPDATES
Cyberlink PowerDVD 15 Ultimate
Norton Security ( one year subscription )
SKYPE.

Mint like BRAND NEW 9.5 / 10 Condition with power adapter.
Reg. Price: $1,399.00 CAD Before TAX ( NCIX com ) and before SDD Upgrade.
$ 835.00 or B/O - Call / Text 613.876.7131 - Thanks For Looking

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Yeah I went and checked out the laptop. It seems to be in good overall shape. Nothing wrong with it cosmetically. The keys look fine. I asked if he tested all the ports on it. Told me all the ports are in working order. The person selling it is repair tech from my understanding who deals with 2nd hand items.

Said he would reformat and partition the drive and do a fresh install for me of the OS so I could install Windows 7 and Linux Red Hat on it.

The laptop he said was purchased used. The laptop still has the protective plastic over the mouse and camera. He said the last person who owned it primarily used it for gaming and used a gaming keyboard and mouse on it instead of the the keyboard/track pad itself.

Overall I am thinking its a good deal. Although the price was originally $770 he has raised it $835 but would sell it for $800.00

I would like to know if anyone if $800.00 is a good price or should I dump my money into a new laptop. Again my budget is $1000.00 before taxes and I would be willing to maybe spend $1200 max if need be.

As $800CA = roughly $612US, I would say that $800CA is a very fair price for the ASUS, if it is in as good a condition as it sounds. My last laptop was an ASUS G75, and it was a very well-built and good performing machine. What kind of warranty is he offering with it?

P.S. The i7 in that laptop is 3rd gen.

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

When I prompted about the warranty as most of these laptops have a 2 year manufacturer warranty he didn't really tell me anything. More or less kinda avoided the question. Not sure if he was not sure about the warranty and didn't want to give me an answer. Other then that he believes its a 1 year old laptop at best.

As for warranty he said 30 days. What the warranty includes was not discussed.

Far as I see the laptop comes with a 120 GB SSD which I don't think came with the original package and a 750 GB 7200 RPM hdd.

Would a 3rd gen cpu be bad? Not sure on this stuff.

chrisbek

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010

Yeah this is the problem. I don't know when the original owner actually purchased it. So definitely if someone got it in 2012 its out of warranty for sure.

You think its worthwhile to purchase or should I just take my money and invest it in a better brand new laptop?

I just feel its a good deal but not so sure.

Well, it's a pretty good deal if it lasts at least 2 or 3 more years, but it's obviously a crappy deal if it lasts 6 months. Probably not having a warranty, it IS a crap shoot. I'm not going to advise for or against you purchasing it because of that. Like I said, I loved mine, and it was very well-built, and had an excellent cooling system. I only sold it because of sudden financial problems. Sorry I'm not more help.

Solution