Would this setup work?

DrShadowSML

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014
I am on a budget and am trying to figure out how to setup a surround sound for my living room. I would like to have a Wii U, a Laptop, my HD digital cable box, and a Chrome Cast be able to connect to my TV for video output and use external 5.1 surround sound. A receiver with that many HDMI inputs is too expensive for me at this time.
So I was thinking of the following: using a 5-port HDMI switch ($15) with all the devices connected to it. This switch then connects to the TV via HDMI. I then use a SPDIF coax cable from the TV to a home theater system, specifically: PHILIPS HTS3051B/F7 Blu-ray Home Theater System ($120). I would also connect this Blu-ray system to the HDMI switch so that my blu-ray movies can show up on my TV while still using the surround sound.
Would this setup work for all of its intended purposes or am I missing something? Also, would all the devices properly push out 5.1 digital surround sound, or does my setup hinder the quality?

Solution
It will work if the TV passes 5.1 channel audio out to the HTiB. Sometimes the source will detect the TV through the HDMI and only output 2 channels. Check the TV manual or menu and see if there is a place you can select this.
If you cannot then you would use a switcher like this
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
to extract the audio before the TV. The TV audio out would only be used for the Chromecast stick.
It will work if the TV passes 5.1 channel audio out to the HTiB. Sometimes the source will detect the TV through the HDMI and only output 2 channels. Check the TV manual or menu and see if there is a place you can select this.
If you cannot then you would use a switcher like this
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2
to extract the audio before the TV. The TV audio out would only be used for the Chromecast stick.

Solution

DrShadowSML

Estimable
Dec 22, 2014

That switcher is exactly what I needed. Thank you so much!