WoW Player Threatens To Blow Up Plane

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dmendenjr

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
FWIW - Libel, Insurrection (imminent lawless actions), Obscenity, and Incitement ("Fighting Words") are not protected by the Constitution (more specifically the first amendment). (see wiki) Normally, they leave obscenity standards to be determined by individual communities. Acts of terrorism are an act of imminent lawless action.

As for government intrusion into the sealed ecosystem that is WOW; it was a moderator that reported it to the FBI in the first place (not the other way around).

I'm not saying some 18 year old moron claiming to do something stupid is worth the hundreds of thousands of dollars being spent on his interrogation; but still, it's always best to think before you speak (even on the internet).

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Oh snap! FBI is knocking on your door before you go to schoool... I hope this helps snot nosed kids talking trash on games to keep their traps shut. I hope news of this kid spreads throughout just WoW and many game titles in PC, XBOX 360, Wii and more platforms. I play GTA 4 on the XBOX 360 and it amazes me how a 9yr old can talk nonsense like a 26yr old. Given those situations are more linked to the parental control...; i hear a lot of them laughing about how fun it is to hurt people...which may confuse some of them in reality. I personally don't think games proposes violence. Its the lack of proper education, discipline in manners, and sometimes stupidity in this case.

Wether or not its a liablity issue for the government, i think they did the right thing. If only the younger generation could understand how serious it is...

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Look, freedom of speech is not unrestricted and it never has been. When I was a kid, I was taught that my rights/freedoms don't supercede someone elses. Another way of putting it is sure, I have the right to say what I want, as long as it doesn't endanger/harm someone else. If so, what about their rights? Too many lawyers have gotten rich over muddling this concept up and it's a shame.

Also, I was taught to not do or say anything I don't expect others to see/hear. That kid is a punk who was never taught common sense. Hopefully this will open his eyes that he can't get away with anything he wants.

Keep in mind, his comment was completely out of context to WoW. I am glad that the GM didn't ignore it. There's no reason within WoW to talk about that stuff. NONE. WoW does not provide it's chat service for people to talk about guns, explosives, sex, race issues, cars, other games, etc. It's specifically for WoW. Read the dang agreement. Anyone using WoW and it's services also agrees to not violate that agreement. They agree that they will follow the rules. They agree that the service is a private service and they will conform to the regulations.

People, if you don't like the rules, leave. Even on this site. You have no right, nor expectation to think that this site or any other site you don't control will let you do/say anything you want without recourse. GROW UP. Just because mommy didn't tell you no, doesn't me that everyone else will follow along.

Now, comments which are contextual, well if all of a sudden the FBI showed up at my house after I said "I'm gonna plant the bomb at the plane" and I was playing Counter-Strike (et al), than I would have a case. It's all about context. If I said something specific about a REAL WORLD object or location, I would expect to be held accountable. If there are mods on chat services, I expect that they will do their job. Part of that job is to watch out for inappropriate things. Don't like it, start your own chat service.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
this is stupid , oh and btw way i nveted a subatomic anti matter bomb , and oh also i'm gonna blow up our dimension with it !!!!

The difference between this and what the kid said is I know you are full of crap.

cricket08

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
What theory is he trying to test? I bet this is a kid that is too addicted to online games and doesn't have a life. I wonder what is his parents reactions. Too bad that if he is still a student he wasted too much energy on such things. Games are meant to entertain and not the other way around. Actually, I read an article about a student who was able to make through a financial crisis coz of a game.
http://www.feedsniper.com/New-6/284776-7/WOW-GOLD-SAVES-THE-DAY-How-RMT-helped-a-Starving-Student.html

If this kid just did his homework, life would be better for him.

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
his response of "testing a theory" technically makes this willfull in that he suspected that this might happen.

he will probably be charged with making false felonious statements or something similar and fined to compensate the government for the time it waisted going after him. This of course will be dependant on his age as well as if they determine it to have been done willfully to see if the FBI would show up.

andyviant

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2009
There's another issue here I'm surprised no one hit on -- the comment itself should have been investigated, deemed empty and dismissed...UNTIL he said he was "testing a theory." He basically admitted openly to willful waste of government resources - resources that otherwise could have been investigating and responding to real threats. This is similar to obstruction of justice, i'm sure there's something more legally appropriate to call it, I just don't know what that is. But that is serious.

dreamphantom_1977

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder what they would have said if he was playing GTA IV online. I mean, considering it has planes in it. If he said it about a plane in the game, would they still charge him? U should here all the crap they say on the console versions of that game. Crazy. They could put a lot of people in jail for talking $#!+

ponchato

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
Oh, this is a good use of our country's resources.

"Holy shit, some guy in Arkansas killed 15 people and is holding 10 hostage!"
"Yeah, but someone in World of Warcraft said they're going to blow up a plane."
"Oh my God! That takes precedence over that murderer, let's go investigate!"

Hurrr, I'm going to blow up a plane, the FBI is dumb! What are they going to do, come to my house because I called them moronic?

lordfakie

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I remember the many times I said I would love to bombard my school, specially when there where home projects and tests. oops, I hope they don't track my ip now...

Humans think one thing, say another and do something else.

G

lets see millions of dollars stolen from the american public but this is on the top of there list!!!!! How about some interogation of all that have there hands in de-regulating the banking system and there intentions behind it. Lets see underminning the US. economy for personal gain hmmm. (not worthy of any type of investigation).

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
Lets all apply common sense.
Common sense: i'm sure the masterminds of 9/11 used a form of digital medium through E-mail, IRC, message board to communicate with their cells as well as recruitment.

Common sense: making bomb threats in an arena with large amounts of people does equal yelling fire in a crowded theater or yelling GRENADE! at a game

Common sense: threats are to be taken seriously no matter how unserious the threat may be. Any professional in a Post 9/11 columbine virginia tech world should know to look for signs and report possible danger.

Common sense: you don't entice the authorities or police.

G

Nice Work big brother. Im so glad that im living in Europe. In States u r only sheeps controled bt goverment..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS