WoW Player Threatens To Blow Up Plane

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason the government can get away with increased monitoring is because people expect it to protect them from everything. What ever happened to people being able to take care of themselves(for the most part)? If all of the able people decided to defend themselves at once on a 9-11 flight, things might have shaped up differently. America is soft(nowdays).

Death threats are illegal only if you get caught. How many of the goverment & military employed have used such tactics and walked away scott free? Besides, after a firm questioning the poor kid most likely is shaken. I think we could say lesson learned. Any other punishment (though lawful) still looks bad on the FBI since it was just some dumb kid spouting some crap.

To all who defended the kid: Yeah he deserved some repremand to remind him to watch his tongue.

To all who defended the FBI: Though legally they had a cause, A little more investigation would have made this all seem trivial. Are they going to start arresting 9 year olds spouting threats during a game next?

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
This a victory for terrorism. If an American cannot behave naturally (bad taste or not) without beeing assled by the feds, than it is a point achieved by terrorism.

spanspace

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
This just goes to show our goverment is going to shit and our President needs to keep stepping up and fixing the BS. They could of got a warranted wiretap and listened to his coversations and tailed him. No lets go arrest the WoW player after one lame comment. While we are on the subject Blizzard is no better then the goverment and I can't wait for this big brother shit they pull to bite them in the ass.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
[citation][nom]f-gomes[/nom]This a victory for terrorism. If an American cannot behave naturally (bad taste or not) without beeing assled by the feds, than it is a point achieved by terrorism.[/citation]

So true. That's why terrorism is so effective. They just put the fear in the people, the people will accept every step the government takes to police state and all you are left with is a false sense of security. Because all the bombers can still bomb America if they wanted, they just don't need to, because America is too busy to build stupid security and buying their oil to wage stupid wars.

No, this kid should have been picked up, interrogated and released. Anything else and be ready to make a new prison for the millions of Americans playing games. How many times have you not said, I'm going to kill you, you ..., you ruined my day, go ... yourself and all other kinds of threats and improper use of characters.

You play a game where emotions run high and you say things and threaten people from time to time. I bet if you go to the wow forum, you will find posts like don't let me find out where you live, I will burn your house to the ground (well mods will have removed it), when they are unhappy about a change.

No, the idea of him going to prison goes too far already. And everyone who doesn't want freedom, I'd be happy with the freedom you have left. You are so busy giving it up, that you will end up worst than China has it now and Stalin made Mother Russia. The wannabe commies (practical commies, theoretic communism is completely different)would be happy with a people who would want to sacrifice all for a little bit of freedom

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Give me a break, this country is a joke sometimes.
Hey, lets spend taxpayer money screwing some US citizen over while we read the terrorists their rights in Afghanistan that must now be part of the USA and fall under our constitution. Then lets put real terrorists in beach resorts after releasing them from club gitmo.

a-nano-moose

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2007
So does this mean that when I drive backwards on a race game to make people crash, the police will arrest me for assault? Will I be required to be tested for drugs and alcohol?

themike

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
They should arrest anybody stupid enough to play WoW. Problem solved.

actually, I've rarely seen so many post in so little time, which means that A LOT of people reading at tomshardware are wow players (yes, including me).

I would just like to add that, like everything that has tons of people in it, there's a lot of idiots.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]HEY LETS GIVE THE TERRORIST WHAT THEY WANT! Which is are freedoms taking away, because we live in terror.. I don't blame WOW mod for this.. I don't even blame the FBI for investigating. I do blame any judge that gives this kid anything. This is utter bullshit... Hey how about we get some mind readers and put everybody in jail for everything they think.. Even though 99% would never dare to do anything as they know it's wrong. Good game america are fourfather would be absolute sick if they seen this shit!.[/citation]
This is really imposing on your freedom? Really?!?! Get a life, this is no different than making any comment that eludes to the assassination of the president. Merely saying that lands you in prison, why should this be any different? The kid deserves some kind of fine, but his punishment should not be to the same degree of someone planning or participating in an actual attack.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]this is stupid , oh and btw way i nveted a subatomic anti matter bomb , and oh also i'm gonna blow up our dimension with it !!!![/citation]
I think you have to be able to spell "invented" before they will believe you could actually invent something or anything.

G

THOUGHTCRIME! THOUGHTCRIME! Welcome to the post "1984" world of George Orwell where everything you say, or think, or even jest will be used against you. God, will the absurdity ever cease?! THOUGHTCRIME! THOUGHTCRIME!

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]he should be fined something for the bother[/citation]
as a few people said - he should definitely be fined. maybe let the RIAA decide what the fine should be and he will learn his lesson. lol

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]HEY LETS GIVE THE TERRORIST WHAT THEY WANT! Which is are freedoms taking away, because we live in terror.. I don't blame WOW mod for this.. I don't even blame the FBI for investigating. I do blame any judge that gives this kid anything. This is utter bullshit... Hey how about we get some mind readers and put everybody in jail for everything they think.. Even though 99% would never dare to do anything as they know it's wrong. Good game america are fourfather would be absolute sick if they seen this shit!.[/citation]
I am not quite sure why this comment is so rated up myself but I definitely think OUR FOREfathers might roll their eyes at the education system when it comes to spelling/grammar! :p

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]themike[/nom]actually, I've rarely seen so many post in so little time, which means that A LOT of people reading at tomshardware are wow players (yes, including me).I would just like to add that, like everything that has tons of people in it, there's a lot of idiots.[/citation]

Yeah, but I'm not talking about the casual WoW player, I'm talking about the kind of individual who spends more than 40 hours a week on this game, or any other MMO type of game for that matter. It just happens so WoW seems to somewhat attract more retards than less popular MMO games. And I don't think the fact there's 11 Million subscriber is creating some kind of illusion about the higher ratio of morons in-game. I think the style (fantasy gayish kiddy, call it what you want) of the game alone, and the popularity of it helps attract a bunch of this kind individuals.

I think any sane person who play this game is able to wake-up and see the reality about it and it's population after a quite short time, as I did. If you've spent more than 500 hours playing that game, there's chances you fall into the category I am describing.

Games are suposed to be distraction, not jobs. And some games also helps develope your brain. WoW is doing the oposite, it turns the game into a job, and makes you a zombie. If you are to spend 1000 hours on something, spend it on learning something and/or doing something out of your ass, instead of being a fucking nerd that deserves a good beating. Just my 2 cents.

G

No, he's not an idiot because he can't blow an airplane and he said he would (and apparently he tried to sound serious). he's and idiot because to those who actually suffered from it, and because IT IS a serious matter, he is totally disrespecting those people! it is offensive when someone jokes or takes lightly such a subject, and then of course the feds aren't going to process him in a manner that would retrieve information (because he won't have any), but they ought to teach him some respect.
freedom of speech is almost limitless, it is a given right. but civism is a duty.. any civilized person will have to know how to balance them.

Have him meet some of the families whose relatives died from terrorism..

Status
Not open for further replies.