Jul 13, 2018
Hey Folks,

I'd thought I'd throw this out to the world for a What Would You Do...question (WWYD)...I have 2 bookshelf Mission speakers sitting in storage. (i'm sure i can get the serial, but their about 12x8 or so)...anyway...i'm just finishing reno's and re-decorating...and my Samsung HW-K430 (2 - 3 years old), i believe has CRAPPED out. Yesterday I got a popping / crackling sound and the sound stopped. This morning I get sound out of it, but ONLY out of the subwoofer (bottom end of sound spectrum), So this leads me to believe everything is correctly connected, and the speakers themselves are toast.

That said...would you go get another wireless bluetooth sound bar...or would you make use of the 2 missions speakers, add an amp/receiver, say a used denon / HK / Marantz / Onkyo to the 2 missions speakrs, and then add a logitech blue tooth adapter?

Connections -> tv -> currently goes through optic physical connection, since the PS4 is HDMI into the TV, it goes via D.IN as well. occasionally i pair my macbook via bluetooth, and before anyone asks, yes the sound problem is across ALL connections both D.IN and BT (already checked that)...

So make use of speakers + amp + adapter or new sound bar? on a seriously tight budget, but even an amp + adapter will run probably $200, for $200 i could get an LG sound bar and subwoofer.

So...WWYD?

Thanks a bunch...

Updated: later same day: Spoke with Samsung and 2 service centers. Appears that the main board is toast. Mainboard replacement is the same cost as a new system. So repairing old is out of question.

Solution
I would go the receiver route. You could use a new stereo receiver like this one
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-200w-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-black/4156007.p?skuId=4156007
with the Missions if you don't care about surround sound. It already has bluetooth but not optical input so you would need an optical to analog converter if your TV didn't have analog audio output. It will sound better than a cheap soundbar too.
If you wanted surround sound then a used AVR will work with the Missions and you can add center, rears & sub later.
I would go the receiver route. You could use a new stereo receiver like this one
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-200w-2-0-ch-stereo-receiver-black/4156007.p?skuId=4156007
with the Missions if you don't care about surround sound. It already has bluetooth but not optical input so you would need an optical to analog converter if your TV didn't have analog audio output. It will sound better than a cheap soundbar too.
If you wanted surround sound then a used AVR will work with the Missions and you can add center, rears & sub later.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS