Xbox 360 Gets Upgraded DVD Spec for 1GB More

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

@dark_lord69: so every disc has different data on it? Maybe you should STFU and try reading about how disc manufacturing works...

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Its better that than the crappy DRM that we face on the PC for most games. DRM that screws PCs up and doesn't even work anyways.Thank God for Steam.[/citation]

Until Steam turns evil. You know that old saying about not putting all your eggs in one basket.

Don't get me wrong, I like steam and buy games from them too, but the fact is no one else seems to really have a good sales platform for selling PC games digitally. A lot of games could be locked up forever or only available through one provider/method of purchase if things go south the wrong way or worse yet, they get bought by another less reputable company.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
So even with the new specs... it still trails behind Blu-ray. This all the the while Blu-ray players and burners are becoming cheap commodities. Give it up MS... you lost the DVD-HD war... you want to lose again? Just put a damn Bluray player in the XBOX and call it a day.

G

It's about time we get that extra gig for games. Who needs a 25 gig disc for games which are hard to scratch when you can get an old school dvd prone to scratches with a whole almost 9 gigs. Wow the 360 really is the future of gaming. Am I a sony fan boy? Nope I own a 360 and no PS3 and I going to get rid of a 360? Heck yeah. Why don't microsoft figure out a way to put their games on VHS tape and a slot load system no that would be an industry first best yet no one would want to pirate it. lol

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Why don't companies just give up on DRM? They spend so much money only for the game to be cracked on the release date. They either don't spend much money on implementing RDM, hence they don't care (and the DRM doesn't work) or they're stupid.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]The crapbox, people really still buy this outdated crap?[/citation]
hey its keeping up with the other consoles isn't it? see how far PS3 is gonna be behind when they come out with a new xbox, cuz i guarantee they'll get the xbox out far before Sony gets a new system out.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
[citation][nom]chickenhoagie[/nom]cuz i guarantee they'll get the xbox out far before Sony gets a new system out.[/citation]

I'd say so, seeing as the 360 is a couple of years older than the PS3. I just hope when MS they release a new console they get at least someone to test it first.. lolz. Don't want the RROD saga to happen again.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]awood28211[/nom]Anti-piracy works perfectly...if you're not trying to pirate. Those who pirate just get around it.[/citation]

That makes sense to you? anti-piracy wasn't made for people who aren't trying to pirate so how can it work for them?

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
This probably would've been newsworthy 5 years ago. It's still what, almost 2 gigs less than a standard dual layer DVD. The only reason anyone buys an Xbox 360 anymore is because their friends have one for XBL. Even then you have to feel disappointed knowing it's the only game machine that charges extra to play online.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
If Microsoft was smart and thinking much more long term they would have stuck the HD-DVD drive in the console and use the HD discs for games. Sure the load time for game may have suffered 10-15% but they would have had 15-51GB of space for single to triple layered discs. It would have added more to the initial cost of the console but in the long run Microsoft wouldn't have lost hundreds of millions of dollars on a format that they let die.

G

[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Its better that than the crappy DRM that we face on the PC for most games. DRM that screws PCs up and doesn't even work anyways.Thank God for Steam.[/citation]

Hate to break it to ya, Steam = DRM!

Status
Not open for further replies.