Xbox 360 Just Had Its Biggest Week Ever

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Skippy27[/nom]The RROD issue has not been an "issue" for years. I personally know no less then 25 people that have bought machines in the last 3 years that have never had a single issue. I personally have 3 at my house (one for me, one for the son and one for others) all of which log many hours of use every day and not a single issue on any of them and even the youngest xBox is over 1 year old.Your Atari has no where near the advancements nor sensitivity in it's electronics to even attempt to compare it in this way so get a clue.[/citation]

I was just sharing my personal experience with this console. I would hope that my Atari didn't have anywhere near the "advancements nor sensitivity in it's electronics to even attempt to compare it in this way so get a clue.".... it's damn near 30 years old.

What I was trying to convey, you obviously missed the point, is that the Atari was better built. With today's advancements in cooling (active/passive), PCB production, and fabrication there shouldn't be any issues of RRoD's. However, there are with many people who can attest to it happening this day. Your isolated group of 25 people doesn't speak for the entire populace of Xbox 360 users.

amstech

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Once you game on a PC at 2560 X 1600 it's hard to go back to a console, but my 360S is great for Netflix and Halo!

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I got the arcade version with kinect in a bundle for $200 at walmart and it came with a $50 dollar gift card for walmart so actual price 150 that's with kinect and the system. I would never pay 300 for the same thing.. I don't plan on buying any games besides kinect. No one is buying xbox everyone is buying kinect that is relevant by 750,000 kinect units in addition to the 1 mil xboxes. Guaranteed most those xboxes were in kinect bundles such as the one above. So don't worry these are mostly casual gamers. My son is 4 and he would love kinect while I'm upstairs on the big boy PC playing skyrim and BF3....

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
I think that if the new xbox's will be cross platformed it will help pc gamers alot. The current console platform is holding back the potential for something big. I do think pc gaming needs to have more of a friendlier community to join up with friends, party chat, join lobby's etc. I know you can do that with pc now but make it easier for those who dont know how to set anything up.

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
[citation][nom]dstigue[/nom]I got the arcade version with kinect in a bundle for $200 at walmart and it came with a $50 dollar gift card for walmart so actual price 150 that's with kinect and the system. I would never pay 300 for the same thing.. I don't plan on buying any games besides kinect. No one is buying xbox everyone is buying kinect that is relevant by 750,000 kinect units in addition to the 1 mil xboxes. Guaranteed most those xboxes were in kinect bundles such as the one above. So don't worry these are mostly casual gamers. My son is 4 and he would love kinect while I'm upstairs on the big boy PC playing skyrim and BF3....[/citation]
Good man!

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
PC guys can be so damn cranky... seriously. I'm a PC gamer but also own the XBOX 360 and PS3. If you like gaming you have to be open minded to all types of game play. I still have an old Intellivision and Commodore (64 and 128) simply because it's fun to play something different. The biggest reason why many people including hard-core PC gamers turn to consoles is simply this... it's cheap. A complete gaming platform, dvd or bluray player, media center, etc for $300. Even if the consoles didn't play games the ability to stream and use consoles as a media center for less than $300 and literally zero setup... it's still reasonable.

As I said... if you are really into gaming... you would have a PC rig and a couple of consoles.

I'm impressed that the 360 has 7 years to its platform... wish my PC rig(s) can keep up for just 7 months.

yapchagi

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Sigh...I can't believe so many people pay $300 for a 7 year old gaming console.[/citation]

It wasn't $300. It was $200 during Black Friday. And it was for the XBOX 360 Slim 250 GB with 2 free games + 3 months GOLD included.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
here we go again with all the eliteists bleating that "innovation" & "quality gameplay" is going down the toilet with every console sale but in reality its only the gfx that suffers, in my opinion the gameplay depends on what game you play and is about the same across all the platforms. and before i get called a "console fanboy" i do own 2 pc's (1 gaming), 1 gaming laptop, 360, ps3, psp, dreamcast & a iphone.

and on a side note my ps3 has died twice (3.56 firmware bricked the ps3 when i you upgraded the hdd & the ylod a few hours after i got it back from sony) while my 360 has only rrod once in 4 years.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]Sigh...I can't believe so many people pay $300 for a 7 year old gaming console...I have all the gaming consoles...XBOX360, PS3, Wii, NDS (not the 3d one), and PSP....I really only play on the 360, and ONLY play console only games and multiplayer shooter games such as COD. Because I enjoy the multiplayer features more then on a PC. Additionally I use the 360 to stream video's from my PC to my TV via Windows Media Center. I don't use the consoles for anything else.[/citation]

You are pretty dumb then...if you play FPS, PC is the best platform, why waste money and time on console?? Streaming??? The XBOX sucks at video streaming. My WDTV Live does a much better job.

What the XBOX does very well is provide fun and incredible games which you won't find on the PC (same like other consoles). And yes, i play my XBOX mostly despite having a much more powerful PC. Power don't mean shit without the fun games. (and i don't play FPS btw, just hate them).

jms22

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Hardcore PC gamers are going to have nightmares. "Console gaming is dead" or "game developers dont want to do console games anymore because of graphics" HAHAHAHA...yeah right. Money talks bitches...

vfighter

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Here in South Korea, the 4GB model sold for $99 for Black Friday at the BX/PX at U.S. military installations. Were there similar discounts on the 4GB model elsewhere? At $99 is that really helping the bottom line? Seems like that would be a loss leader for Microsoft

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The PC gaming industry did take a hit... we get 7-YEAR old crappy console quality games on our $100~600 graphic card systems.

You can build a decent gaming rig for about $600 (before the HD prices spiked) with an ATI5770/6770 video card. Hell, I still play games in 1920x1200 on my 4670... which has graphic abilites that are X2 the performance of the GPUs in the PS3 / 360.

So yeah, even I am eye-balling the PS3... screw MS for leaving out the PC Gamer to die. Without GAMES... why buy a Windows computer? Mac has all the same key productivity software (MS Office, Adobe, video and audio and 3D tools). This is why tablets are eating into Notebook sales... they work good enough.

A crappy Xbox game will sell a million copies vs a few tens of thousands for a desktop PC. Whats the official ratio in sales? 50 to 1 (Consoles vs PC)?? Other than WOW, there are a lot of empty servers in the land of PC. I bought HAWX1 - even a few weeks after it came out, only 2-3 times I played on a multi-player server against 2-3 humans... thats it.

So, I *WILL* get a Playstation3/4 over any XBOX.

Damn, too bad Apple won't sell a Retail End-USer MacOS-X box for $100~150 for those who would build their own hardware and use the MacOS.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]The PC gaming industry did take a hit... we get 7-YEAR old crappy console quality games on our $100~600 graphic card systems.[/citation]

You do realize that the graphics are platform independent in that they can and do create the graphics at a very high resolution and scale them accordingly, right?

If the graphics are poor in a game it is because the developer did a crappy job of implementing them and/or used a crap engine to build the game to begin with. So instead of saying the console is hurting your PC gaming experience maybe you should be saying it is the shear laziness and greed of the crap PC gaming companies that are hurting your PC gaming experience.

Then you are going to go into a complaint about multiplayer, lack of players and inferior systems and talk about getting a PS3 and MAC? That's kind of hypocritical isnt it?

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
I was very tempted to get one but I don't think my wife would be too happy cause I barely have time for my other games on PC, PS3 and Wii.
The temptation comes from me wanting to play games like Dance Central and other Kinect games.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
[citation][nom]gavenr[/nom] I do think pc gaming needs to have more of a friendlier community to join up with friends, party chat, join lobby's etc. I know you can do that with pc now but make it easier for those who dont know how to set anything up.[/citation]

I disagree. I don't want those snot-nosed punks that muck up me and my peep's online PS3 racing that intentionally cause wrecks and then laugh about it. Those pricks can stay on the simpleton affordable console gaming. The adults at least can still enjoy online gaming with the PC where everyone generally has maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.