Xbox 360 S Hacked to Play Burned 'Backup' Discs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Wheat_Thins[/nom]......Most people that hack consoles don't give a shit about the optical drive, you play the images from a new massive hard drive. The PS3 has yet to be hacked. It has yet to this day been hacked to where it can actually play copied PS3 games or even PS3 game images. Key structure is natively built into Cell and key encryption is even in an encrypted shell that spans across SPU's. PS3 is the equivalent of Fort Knox in terms of trying to get copied game content to run on it.[/citation]

I did say difficult, difficult isn't "unhackable".
Playing off an HD is the preferred method, but that method usually comes after the drive itself can play backups. You still need to get the disc image from somewhere. That somewhere is either going to be ripping the disc, which would require a BD drive in your computer, or off the internet. Most people bought a ps3 for bluray, so they aren't going to have a drive in their computer to rip it themselves, and unless the image is stripped, downloading BD images is pretty unwieldy for many who have download caps. There is also the fact that bluray in itself was created with attention to preventing piracy, even if it meant inconveniencing the user.
You would also have to factor in that Sony continues to remove functions off their system like OtherOS which enabled back door routes to hacking. They're more concerned about preventing piracy than they are about keeping their word and putting out quality products.

So what's easier for the hacking community, dealing with the extra difficulties and less common disc format of PS3, or working on Xbox where most of the same games exist? PS3 isn't unhackable, it just isn't worth the trouble to hack.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]I didn't say anything about the PS3 playing backups or having mod-chips, but there were several homebrew hacks that sprung up after the PS3's initial launch allowing people to play Emulators. Enabling a console to play emulators is considered a hack, because it is allowing the console to play games which were illegally obtained.[/citation]

Who gives a crap about emulators? The guy you initially bashed said the PS3 was unhackable since the first version meaning it can't play off of backup discs. You called him out as an Xbox360 fanboy when technically speaking, he was criticizing the Xbox and favoring the PS3 due to it not being able to play backups.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]insider3[/nom]Who gives a crap about emulators? The guy you initially bashed said the PS3 was unhackable since the first version meaning it can't play off of backup discs. You called him out as an Xbox360 fanboy when technically speaking, he was criticizing the Xbox and favoring the PS3 due to it not being able to play backups.[/citation]

Why don't you read their post again?

captaincharisma :

so i guess the slim design was to just change the look of an unreliable console instead of improving anything else. heck the PS3 has been unhackable since the original was released

They didn't say anything about backups... They said the PS3 has always been unhackable!!! This is incorrect, because of the ability to exploit the system through linux.

BTW - I called him a PS3 fanboy, because he said the new XBOX 360 was only a visual redesign. He failed to acknowledge that the new XBOX 360 has made several improvements to reduce heat and noise.

braneman

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
interesting... I thought xbox 360 games where put on those HD-DVD's that lost the format wars, must be hard to find something that burns them...

sidran32

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]braneman[/nom]interesting... I thought xbox 360 games where put on those HD-DVD's that lost the format wars, must be hard to find something that burns them...[/citation]
XBox 360 games are on DVD-9 format. It's high density but still a DVD. To play HD-DVDs on your 360, you need an external drive which hooks up via USB.

G

wtf people ? 360 being hackable is one of the few reasons to buy a 360. I mean, come on. 90% of it's catalogue can be played on PC and a lot better. That's why my 360 is dusting aroud. And that's why my kids play the Wii and i play the PS3. Exclusive games is what matter, 3rd Party games you can play on PC a lot better. Get some wireless controllers and plug on your TV and there you have it. Same console experience, but with better graphics and physics and sound.

In this generation, exclusive matters, and PS3 just got it right. More fun, best looking, more powerful and faster.

TripGun

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
I think its a hoax, they just stacked a burned disk on top of a real disk...notice the camera angle and they turned it off after ejecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.