Xbox 360 Woes: E74 Becoming Big Problem

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
(since a long post won't do as I'm getting a 503 error page, here goes the rest of the text/post) Sorry for the spam..

If we could sue MS from here, we would, but we are not willing to pay almost 5 times more than the original US price for that.

That said, my PS3 is also dead, launch date PS3. Died 4 days ago because the drive isn't spinning/ejecting anymore, so I'm willing to change the drive to fix it. Easier than having to find weird mods to save a 360.. :) (we don't have Sony support here also, so you can imagine the pain we are in to)

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
(Sorry for the spam... but that's needed as I want to share this with all of you.)

If we could sue MS from here (Brazil), we would, but we are not willing to pay almost 5 times more than the original US price for that.

That said, my PS3 is also dead, launch date PS3. Died 4 days ago because the drive isn't spinning/ejecting anymore, so I'm willing to change the drive to fix it. Easier than having to find weird mods to save a 360.. :) (we don't have Sony support here also, so you can imagine the pain we are in to)

syche9876

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2007
Well, at the begining of March my XBOX started showing weird artifacts and lines with messed up textures all across the screen while playing certain games. Soon after that E74 error showed up with 1 red light in the bottom right corner. Luckly when I called the Microsoft there was 3 more days before the warranty expired so it ended up being a free repair. I have the Falcon version of the XBOX that I made sure to get so I dont end up with this problem. It has a manifacture date of December of 2007. Additionaly I have the old style menu system. Either way if the problem persists in the future its gonna be time to sell the XBOX and spend the money towards a PC since PS3 for me is not worth getting yet due to the lack of games.

nukemaster

Distinguished
This is a bad issue, but i do not think Sony was any better. Almost ALL the first gen PS2's just up and slowly died(many users turned off the main power since it was claimed that the units power supply actually overheated the systems internals when the system was off) and stopped reading blue CD's it was so bad that no developers used CD's after a certain point and put 200-700mb games onto DVD's since the systems slowly stopped reading CD's. The PS2 Slimline had overheating issues as well.

I do hope MS gets this under control, but allot of issues near that start where from users running the systems in closed stereo stands.

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
According to this "article", Joystiq reports several dozen responses, which they solicited in an unscientific poll, which would be seized upon by the few dozen people having the problem.

This is totally bogus. I which THG would change their log to the Microsoft logo with the red-slash circle over it and drop the hammer on their keyboards so they wouldn't be able to write drivel like this.

G

My mate has a launch console and it has been working fine.. Only has RRODed once.. I have a 60gb model 360, and it works excellent, My xbox was actually left on from friday night all the way through to sunday night, and when i went to turn it off it was COOL.

G

My 3rd 360 fell victim to the E74 last week. This caught my attention "Microsoft may have changed the system diagnostics test to report a Red Ring of Death error as E74 instead." If thats the case all I can say is WTF!
~N2TrAnC3

kgrach

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
Micro$oft bashing is a popular pastime.
Me I got smart and brought me a refurb Xbox 360 early on.
Half the price of a new 360 and the way I figure it has already suffered the RROD so should be more reliable. The refurb unit has lasted several years perfectly.
I would never recommend buying a used 360 but a refurb might be a real solid bargain.

Also for the console war people the PS3 brought at launch time was and still is a cheaper alternative to a XBOX360.

If you think a Xbox is cheaper you really do need some math lessons.
The XBOX360 has never ever been the cheaper console.

COST of ownership counts people

PS3 online play is free
Xbox online cost so far and counting $205 (cost on this keeps ticking upward over the cost of ownership )

Xbox Wifi $89
PS3 built in

Xbox Special hdmi cable $39 needed for optical out
PS3 uses standard cable

Xbox special hdrive $189 for 120 gig
PS3 came with a decent size harddrive and uses a standard SATA drive and there is even instructions in the PS3 owners manual on how to change to a bigger one WITHOUT voiding your warranty or online user agreement Also a standard USB interface or hard drive is all that is needed to transfer of backup your data on a PS3

Xbox rechargable battery and special cable for Play and charge $36
PS3 came with cable (standard USB cable and built in battery )

Xbox (now entering betamax territory HD add on ) $179
PS3 Blueray built in winner of the next gen format war

Xbox really overpriced memory cards
PS3 can use cheap thumb drives.
also web browsing and printing and hell I even have open office and UAE installed on my PS3 makes it an all round better product.

Last but not least is the cost of the 360 hardware failures and self bricking Xbox360 so love to do.

BUTTT!!! the large stable of nice exclusives for the 360 and in my opinion better ergonomics controller. The better gui. I like the 360

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
I still Love my 360 over a PS3 any day. I will spend thousands before i buy a PS3 for the games. Microsoft is the New sony. What sony did with PS1 n PS2, Microsoft achieved it with just the 360 alone. My 2 cents.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i am so sick of fanboys , seems half teh posters here are sony fanboys . sure the 360 has hardware issues , what console doesnt , aside from nintendo , NO one can claim not ever having issues, as for cheap soldier 99% of electrionical components today have cehap soldier, jobs , they pay peopelk in god wknows where to solider ina line of soldiers , they soldier a peice then another it fetched to them. xbox's soldier is no cheaper than the solider on yoru pc/laptop , or your ps3's soldier , problem is is the 360 gets hotter than these other components because it isa much smaller package ... this to me is a case where they should NOT be trying to make things smaller just to please the japanese, the 360 shopuld have been made ever bit as big and ROOMY as the original x box and perhaps then the cheap solider job that is used on ALL modern electronics would not be cracking up.

then again the FCC coudls tart allowing lead based solider to be used again , its not as if people's kids are going be licking their game system's soldier joints (originaly soldier was lead based , but due to health hazards every thing whent to resin based soldier .. which gets no where near the connectivity of the old lead based stuff, also the fumes off lead based soldier wa determined to be hazderous to workers ... but damn that is what those little white filter mask are for)

lady_11

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The only way for Microsoft to truly make a reliable consoles is it consumers stop putting up with their bullshit and demand better treatment.

chibiwings

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
i envy Xbox360 users since they enjoy their console a lot but i think ill add more patience with my console so i won't be spending more for another unit.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
My Xbox hasn't even had an error yet -.-...most people treat their xbox's like shit and put them vertically when MS told people its a bad idea.

necro1783

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]My Xbox hasn't even had an error yet -.-...most people treat their xbox's like shit and put them vertically when MS told people its a bad idea.[/citation]
I thought we were suppose to put it vertically and not horazontilly

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]necro1783[/nom]I thought we were suppose to put it vertically and not horazontilly[/citation]

Well, it blocks one of intake/exhaust parts, so it wouldn't be an ideal...idea.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
It has nothing to do with HDMI because I just got my original 360 back from this because of this error. My 360 does not have HDMI. From what the tech guy told me at microsoft is that the GPU had actually gone bad. 100 bucks later, I have the Jasper internals in my old case (and still no HDMI).

Status
Not open for further replies.