Xbox 360 Woes: E74 Becoming Big Problem

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
There's no doubt that the Xbox 360 seems to have more technical issues than a junky used car.

Knew this was a Parrish w/o having to read another sentence.

How about reporting the facts and if you want to put in your $.02 do a post or a commentary after the fact. Unless you're looking for a fanboy flamewar.

I've had 2 360's- Neither have ever gotten a RROD or this error. The first one did eat my disks so I sold it to Gamestop and bought a HDMI version. If you factor in the amount of money I've spent vs how much time I've spend the cost to entertainment ratio is $.22 an hour. I've gotten my money's worth. While I'm not happy with the technical issues I have never regretted buying my 360s.

PrangeWay

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
I've had the 360 since release. I'm on my 2nd (an HDMI verison) that I bought because I wanted the HDMI version. I always wonder what people are doing to torch these things. My 360, the early arcade HDMI version) is cool to the touch if it's laying on it's long side on my a/v component rack...

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]RiotSniperX[/nom]My Xbox hasn't even had an error yet -.-...most people treat their xbox's like shit and put them vertically when MS told people its a bad idea.[/citation]

Bullcrap! I've never mistreated my xbox. I had an original launch xbox that lasted just over 3 years. It's setup in a nice spot above my TV with all the breathing room it needs. It's setup horizontally and is never moved. Got the RROD last year. My daughter sent it in under the extended warranty and they sent us a refurbished model (No HDMI). So far no problems, but this one is much noisier (fans) than the last. I was considering getting a new Arcade (Jasper) system, but decided it isn't worth the gamble. Anyways, back to my point. I still have two original xboxes and they run like champs. These new xbox 360s should have/could have been designed much better. My extended warranty expires later this year. I will be opening that sucker up to try to "fix" some of the heat problems (AS5 and quiter fans) at that time. I've been seriously considering that Lian Li case for the xbox, but I haven't had the time to do any research on it.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
If you get an error that isn't covered just wrap your 360 in a wet towel while its turned on and stand over it with a fire extinguisher for a bit. (just in case)

I've know several people who did so to break the system to the level of a RRoD to get it swapped.

I accept no responsibility for what happens if you try it tho :)

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
If anything, I think this is a sure sign that Tom's Hardware has gone so downhill I'm not sure I can rely on you guys for information anymore. This article is full of editorial garbage and I for one won't stand for it. Your logic is poor and your conjectures are irritating me. Obviously the system was geared toward the consumer. Who the hell are they making the system for? Are they making it for themselves, or for consumers who would conceivably buy it? The truth, with both Vista and the 360 is that there were many parts that had to come together and there just wasn't enough time. In Vista's case, as much as people buy into the pro-XP propaganda garbage because columnists like you say so, the truth is a kernel upgrade was badly needed and Vista has a much better core than XP. In fact I hate XP because it treats you like you're stupid (you couldn't possibly know how to delete those icons off your desktop, so we'll run a wizard and do it for you!) and feels like a bloated version of 2000, which is what people are saying of Vista. The problem is, third party developers dragged their asses and multiple important portions of the OS didn't function properly. Once everybody got their ducks in a row and SP1 was released, everything became just fucking ducky. Oh and everyone seems to forget that most BSoD's are driver problems on the developer's end, not Microsoft's. But let's all be ULTRA AWESOME and show how smart we are by bashing Microsoft LOL BSOD HAHAHAHA!! In the case of the 360, several of the parts were new and the development schedule just didn't work out like it should have. Microsoft had to rush out the console to try and beat out the PS3 and Wii for the next gen, and it turns out the idea served them very well and has them a number 2 spot instead of number 3. The PS3's slow start vs. the 360's fast start are a major reason for Microsoft being 2nd in the race. And am I the only one who remembers that developers were still working on Alpha kits of the 360 on the August before system launch? Or has everyone else gone mad?

Journalism as a whole has gone so badly downhill it's embarrassing. I'm glad I'm not a part of it like I almost decided to be. From a Boston columnist calling the Cardinals frauds because he didn't think they should be in the superbowl to all the neoliberal and neoconservative columnists to this editorial shit posing as news, it's a joke. How about you keep some integrity so you can sleep at night, and stick to reporting facts and drawing as little conjectures from that as you can, unless you can at least substantiate it with an argument that's not questionable at best.

Jesus, this garbage makes my blood boil so badly I envy those that have the lack of ethics required for a DDoS on your servers. Fix your reporting now, not for my sake, or for the sake of your advertising revenue (almost nobody in the community takes you seriously anymore it seems), do it for your own sake.

Also, I thought I'd mention that I have a long history with Microsoft products and services, both positive and negative, and I don't particularly care for Microsoft one way or the other. I've also had an Xbox 360 unit fail on me during the week between Christmas and New Year's Day. But I won't let that cloud my judgment as to Microsoft's direction and reasoning behind what they're doing. I agree there is a problem with having this many errors, but Microsoft has been working to correct the problem and has spent millions of dollars to extend warranties by three years. Not that you'd mention that.

G

my myself got this terrible Console cancer last night, while i was playing GOW2 with some friens. When i saw the lines i knew it was E74. First i get suspende for like 3 days on Live then this.. Come on wtf! I even linked upa huge fan on the side of the Xbox to keep it cooler.

Im seriously considering going over to Sony. 3 consoles is my limit if my next one blows, than MS can say good buy to a more than loyal client. Bastards

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]resonance451[/nom]Microsoft has been working to correct the problem and has spent millions of dollars to extend warranties by three years. Not that you'd mention that.[/citation]
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe they were forced to spend millions of dollars to extend the warranties by the courts, were they not?

ev1lg00dguy

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Me and 2 of my friends all have Falcon mobos that recently broke. 2 other friends have launch consoles that broke. Many other I know have had their break as well. I think I know a total of 2 people with xbox's that haven't broken.

If yours is out of warranty and you get this error, raise hell and threaten legal action. Got my friend out of the $100 repair bill. And this isn't being an ass, it's expecting working equipment. Normally I would frown upon acting like that, but the hardware is just crap.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]kgrach[/nom]Micro$oft bashing is a popular pastime.Me I got smart and brought me a refurb Xbox 360 early on.Half the price of a new 360 and the way I figure it has already suffered the RROD so should be more reliable. The refurb unit has lasted several years perfectly.I would never recommend buying a used 360 but a refurb might be a real solid bargain.Also for the console war people the PS3 brought at launch time was and still is a cheaper alternative to a XBOX360.If you think a Xbox is cheaper you really do need some math lessons.The XBOX360 has never ever been the cheaper console.COST of ownership counts peoplePS3 online play is freeXbox online cost so far and counting $205 (cost on this keeps ticking upward over the cost of ownership )Xbox Wifi $89PS3 built inXbox Special hdmi cable $39 needed for optical outPS3 uses standard cableXbox special hdrive $189 for 120 gigPS3 came with a decent size harddrive and uses a standard SATA drive and there is even instructions in the PS3 owners manual on how to change to a bigger one WITHOUT voiding your warranty or online user agreement Also a standard USB interface or hard drive is all that is needed to transfer of backup your data on a PS3Xbox rechargable battery and special cable for Play and charge $36PS3 came with cable (standard USB cable and built in battery )Xbox (now entering betamax territory HD add on ) $179PS3 Blueray built in winner of the next gen format warXbox really overpriced memory cardsPS3 can use cheap thumb drives.also web browsing and printing and hell I even have open office and UAE installed on my PS3 makes it an all round better product.Last but not least is the cost of the 360 hardware failures and self bricking Xbox360 so love to do.BUTTT!!! the large stable of nice exclusives for the 360 and in my opinion better ergonomics controller. The better gui. I like the 360[/citation]

Your so damn right about 3rd party devices. The way Microsoft force force you into being their own to make money is disgusting. I mean, Microsoft is suposed to be synonym of computer, a computer is able to use any USB devices. xBox360 have USB ports and won't even let you use a standar mouse and keyboard, come on! While PS3 let you use about any compatible USB device, and about any Laptop SATA HDD.

If MS forces me to repair my xBox360 myself, I'm gonna end up flashing it to play backups too, that way I'll get some for my money, bunch of crooks..I was wondering if the latest update were fixing those update issues too. I did the first NXE update, then some weeks later a new one came out and news claiming that one gave people problems. I did'nt update my xBox360 since then. So I was wondering, should I avoid to upgrade so I don't get that E74 thingy, or should I update anyway? Another thing is, I get an update confirmation each time I open the xBox(which I cancel) and another while I start my NHL09 game. I would love to have updated roster, so I was wondering, is the update confirmation I get while starting my NHL09 game is only updating the roster or is updating the xBox too? If anyone can help me there, it would be much appreciated.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
'The way Microsoft FORCES you into BUYING their own to make money is disgusting.' Sorry for the typos of the previous post.

reininop

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
I guess I'm lucky too, I have a launch console that's has a disc read error, much like my PS2, that was easily fixed by swabbing the lens (this would have voided the waranty had it not already been gone).

Anyway, what I wanted to post on was the ridiculous bias of this article's author. If he's a PS3 fanboy, cool, it's got plenty of great games too. But when it affects his ability to right an objective journalistic piece about the 360's hardware faults, it's unprofessional and pathetic. With such an obvious preference for the PS3 by the author and his many opinionated slights of the 360 scattered throughout the article, the entire story lacks any form of validity.
I'm glad you were able to start a flame war, but I can't believe they pay you to write for this site. If this site even has an editor anymore, I would hope he fires you before you bring this site down any further.

joemamasmurf

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]n3ard3ath[/nom] I did'nt update my xBox360 since then. So I was wondering, should I avoid to upgrade so I don't get that E74 thingy, or should I update anyway? [/citation]
According to Wikipedia, there was a wave of E74 errors occurring after an update released to fix an audio problem cause by the NXE interface. So maybe you should avoid updating, but the source is Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt.

G

wow one little error and they making such a big deal its also easily fixed.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
lol yea every console fails but not at the rate the xboxes are. almost every one i know who has an xbox has had theres die on them heck i one of my friend said there xbox died on them, just a few days ago after having it for more than a year. my friends also have a wii and not one of them has failed on them . yes every console xbox,ps3,wii has a failure rate but if almost everyone you know has one failed on them and you hear nothing but xbox failures in the news all the time you kinda think if you get an xbox it is more likely to fail on you like you hear from word of mouth or on the news

the xbox costs $200.00 and that is still allot of money so if people are going to buy a new console you have to think which one will give you the most trouble and right now it seems the 360 is going to

vir_cotto

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
Every friend that I can think of that has had a 360 has had it fail and had to send it in to get repaired, a few of them have had to send them in more then once.

My first 360 got the RRoD I bought it used :\ so I bought another one around last Christmas. I guess we are all just glutton for punishment it is hard to buy another console because of all the games I have already bought for the 360.

G

guys...... ALL the issues with the 360 are because of 1 thing. IMPROPER STANDOFFS! the board is bent from the first time u turn it on (outter edge board screws pull the board down lower than the xclamp standoffs sit). over time and with power cycles (heat/expand-cool/contract) the board bends even more. m$ should have spent some of that rrod money on new metal cages!!!!! it has nothing to do with nxe or any past updates! PERIOD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS