Xbox "720" "Durango" Rumored to Have No Disc Drive

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
I've never really understood the desire to have backwards capability with the previous console. If you love your 360 games so much you already have a 360 to play them on.

Not a problem.

I remember the day I got my 360, the old Xbox and all the games were packed up and never used again.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]Borisblade7[/nom]First of all, you need to upgrade to blu ray, then you can play dvd's on that. Second of all, dont buy it, dont play new games, keep your old system around, in fact i have an atari lyin around if ya wanna keep that hooked up and never get new things again for some dumb reason too. Blu ray and DVD drives are cheap now, they are are also goin the way of the dodo, things are moving to full digital format or the cloud. You will transfer them as files to non-internet enabled devices if needed but no more standard disc or other media formats will be released. I used my blu ray disc drive on my pc since its hooked to my big screen, but otherwise every single game i get is downloaded. They will need a model with a disc or other portable media interface for those who *laugh* dont use the internet. But there is no reason for anyone else to be using discs or anything like that anymore.[/citation]

First, don't tell me or anyone else that we 'need to upgrade to blu-ray'...how arrogant and ignorant can you actually be? You also didn't read why I personally use my 2 360s- to be a DVD player + all of the other reasons I mentioned. I do not want to attach yet another device...if I did, I would be using a stand-alone player.

As to backwards compatibility, that shouldn't be a problem, since the new XBOX is (more than likely), going to be the equivalent of upgrading a GPU/CPU in a PC- are people in here saying that when you upgrade your PC that your current games become obsolete? Microsoft is not going to design a new console that will not work with current-gen games...and if you look at MS's history, they have backwards compatibility baked-in. Sure some games may not run (like what happened when we went from XBOX gen1 to gen2), but you can bet your ballsack that the great majority will work.

So, go troll somewhere else.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
If they were smart they'd create a proprietary drive with something like a holographic disc which would completely prevent piracy.

daglesj

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2007
[citation][nom]tomc100[/nom]If they were smart they'd create a proprietary drive with something like a holographic disc which would completely prevent piracy.[/citation]

Or just use a HD-DVD drive.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]gtatar[/nom]haha, this-a-way, you cant play your game on other consoles. games will be bound to the console. [/citation]No they won't. I can go to a friend's house, log into my XBL account, download a game I already bought (and have downloaded and played on my own console) and play it. Although for large games or people with slow internet, I'm hoping you can install them on removable media and take that with you.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Where are all the Steam download fans? I used to be a diehard must-own-physical-media guy, but after getting spoiled by Steam and XBL's convenience, I don't care as much anymore. I only really want the hard copy for certain big titles. Anyway, as long as they have some models with an optical drive or an external one, it's fine.
[citation][nom]trtmerlin[/nom]Personally I like how things are now, except the prices of new games though ($59.99).[/citation]How is $60 in 2012 worse than $50 in the early 90s?

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]tomc100[/nom]If they were smart they'd create a proprietary drive with something like a holographic disc which would completely prevent piracy.[/citation]

I'd not say 'completely prevent'.... but certainly make it more difficult.
Never underestimate the inventiveness of some determined nerds :) :)

P.S. 'nerds' in this case is NOT meant as a derogatory term !!

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
BTW, games will never be cheap...it's not about the medium in which they are delivered, it is the cost of development. When you have games that take a number of years and cost hundred of millions to make, well.

BTW, part 2: I remember back in the 80s when Atari 2600 games were running the same prices as today.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]tbq[/nom]I don't have a fast internet connection, so I see no advantage of paying $70 for a game that I'll have to wait 2-3 days to download. If they used something like a triple layer HD-DVD for a disc, they would have the capacity of a bluray without having to pay royalties to Sony and without a huge number of drives on the market that can read the discs to copy or pirate them.[/citation]Apparently nobody realizes that a game can be made available for download faster than it can be distributed to retail shelves? Additionally, it doesn't cost $10 to make an 8GB SD card. It'll cost $2, which will only add a negligible amount to the $60 games people are buying while adding a lot of flexibility when games end up 20GB in size and giving you an extra SD card for future use once you copy it all to your HDD.

I don't know where people got the idea that no Optical drive means an SSD in the XBox 720. Microsoft wants to save money. That means no SSD unless it's an optional HDD upgrade.

Blu-ray isn't the future. It'll pass since so many people watch movies online or download movies regularly. It's ridiculous that I should need a special player just to watch what should be sold to me online or on an SD card.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I have no doubt this rumor is completely false. I don't think Microsoft is stupid enough to eliminate the cheap as hell DVD media in favor of more expensive SD cards or SSD. They're in it to make money.

G

You must understand that you can't compare a PC and a console - PC games run on the O/S (usually Windows), within the O/S you have drivers etc. loaded to allow the game to access the hardware.
A console has proprietry hardware and O/S setup to run at it's optimum level - changing from one console to another (even from the same manufacturer) is like moving from a Commodore 64 to a Commodore Amiga.

On the subject of the "no optical drive" thing - anyone think it may be an option when it goes on sale?
Xbox 720 for $$ - no drive and download all your games from the cloud
Xbox 720 for $$$ - with optical drive (DVD/BD/HD) if you don't have internet / have slow internet / don't have unlimited internet

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]d8v1d[/nom]I don't think cloud would work for large games. Imagine every millions of XBOX user, accessing that game on their cloud. Your going to need one heck of a server. And not everyone can afford good internet. You can have cloud for other reasons, but the games should still be put on a Disc or saved onto the Hard drive.[/citation]
Because Steam is doing a terrible job or that aren't they?
In the 21st century there is no need for physical media

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Because Steam is doing a terrible job or that aren't they?...In the 21st century there is no need for physical media[/citation]

...and tell me how many steam users and games there are vs. XBOX owners and games?

And think about this: the more sh1t that gets put into 'the cloud', the more personal details (like financial account information), have to also be there...and that makes it ripe for hacking and ID theft...sony couldn't keep its PSN secure and neither can anyone else.

Cloud? No thanks.

No need for physical media? What is ya- ignorant?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]NewbieTechGodII[/nom]...and tell me how many steam users and games there are vs. XBOX owners and games?And think about this: the more sh1t that gets put into 'the cloud', the more personal details (like financial account information), have to also be there...and that makes it ripe for hacking and ID theft...sony couldn't keep its PSN secure and neither can anyone else.Cloud? No thanks.No need for physical media? What is ya- ignorant?[/citation]
Over 30 million active user accounts, more in total, but let's only count the regulars shall we?

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Over 30 million active user accounts, more in total, but let's only count the regulars shall we?[/citation]

and it has 100% uptime and has never been hacked and you own the game, right?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]NewbieTechGodII[/nom]and it has 100% uptime and has never been hacked and you own the game, right?[/citation]
Hey, you asked and I gave the answer, 30 million active accounts isn't chicken feed and as far as being hacked goes Xbox and Playstation have had the same.

Yes you do own the games, as local content means they can be played offline but having the games on a hard drive is a lot more convenient than using an optical disk.

For me the ideal scenario would be the option of download or physical disk, trhen the game is "installed" to a local drive, then registered with the servers and playable offline, if you trash the hard drive you have the option to either download again or re-install from the disk.

Steam already does this and Xbox is almost identical, but if you have fast unlimited broadband there is no reason to have a optical disk at all.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
None of this matters since MS would not create a new console without an optical drive. Would sony drop the blue-ray drive from its PS? I think not.

In the end, I'm willing to bet that all we're going to see is an upgrade to the processing power, and even then, does it REALLY need even that?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]NewbieTechGodII[/nom]None of this matters since MS would not create a new console without an optical drive. Would sony drop the blue-ray drive from its PS? I think not.In the end, I'm willing to bet that all we're going to see is an upgrade to the processing power, and even then, does it REALLY need even that?[/citation]
That is true, MS will not drop the optical drive, because they always have an eye on backwards compatability, just saying that in this day and age it's a bit old fashioned.

NewbieTechGodII

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]That is true, MS will not drop the optical drive, because they always have an eye on backwards compatability, just saying that in this day and age it's a bit old fashioned.[/citation]

yeah, and I guess monitors, keyboards, mice, gasoline-powered engines, etc, are all obsolete too.

the floppy is obsolete. DVDs are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.