Xbox Controller and USB Lights Disconnect PC Audio

Dec 27, 2018
Xbox controller and led lights disconnect audio

Okay, so I had to do my annual (custom)PC cleaning, and I decided to move around some of the cords to make my PC setup seem wireless, but as soon as I plug in my controller and press certain buttons, my audio cuts out and freaks out. I haven't been able to find a solution for that, but now when I try and turn on the light strip under my desk (which is connected to my PC by USB like my controller), the same issue occurs where I cannot hear and my audio cuts out when I press a certain button.

The problem also started after I had used my Xbox one controller cable to plug a speaker into my computer, so I don't know if that affected it or not because my led lights have never been plugged in by anything that wasn't it's own cord. I have tried to disable all other audio devices from my sound settings, as well as set my headphones to default, neither of which have solved the problem.

When looking at my sound settings: whenever I would press a certain button on my controller, my headset would disappear from the sound settings altogether, but then after a short time it would reappear in the settings again...

Please help, it is starting to really affect the use of my PC, to where I can't turn on my lights or use my controller.

Thanks

Solution
What is the motherboard's brand and model? Have you tried plugging them into different USB ports? Try not to pair (plug in next to each other) the headset and Xbox controller. I am wondering if you are having a power issue. The solution would be to purchase a powered USB hub and connecting the headset to that. I had that issue with an older Razer headset.
Dec 27, 2018

My headset is a Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma (USB Headset), the speaker was a very small cheap "Bluetooth speaker" that I was using because my other speaker hasn't come in yet. It was connected via AUX cord, but it can be charged or something with a USB cable, so I had both in. I've noticed through trial and error that the controller will do the correct movement in a game (I was playing rocket league), but it will remove my headset from the playback and recording sections of the sound settings.

I have disconnected the speaker now, so all that remains is my headset.

Thanks

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
What is the motherboard's brand and model? Have you tried plugging them into different USB ports? Try not to pair (plug in next to each other) the headset and Xbox controller. I am wondering if you are having a power issue. The solution would be to purchase a powered USB hub and connecting the headset to that. I had that issue with an older Razer headset.

Solution
Dec 27, 2018

I have an MSI Z170A SLI PLUS so I figured I wasn't having a power issue. Unless I do have 2 USB splitters, which are then connected to my PC, could it be that I need to reconfigure those? When I redid my setup, I switched USB cables from the one connected to me nice USB splitter to an old one I had lying around because it was longer. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks

lolnole

Proper
Oct 2, 2018
Are the headset, controller, lights and any other devices connected to these USB hubs/splitters? Can you try to describe the connections for me? For example, the headset connects to USB hub 1 which connects to the back panel USB port. Controller is also connects to USB hub 1...

Dec 27, 2018

I think you are correct! When i changed the USB cable to a nicer/newer one, I'm pretty sure all my problems have been resolved

Thank you!