Xbox Live Gamer Banned For Living in Fort Gay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only reason this is an issue is that MSFT fails to contact the users in order to question such things and that people on the internet will report others for just about anything. If an awkward sounding town name offends a person i'd love to see how they deal with the real world.

That said, immaturity is rampant on any online game. If MSFT (or other) wants to do something proactive they should stop all the useless trolling & flaming that goes on daily.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This is the run-away train wreck of political correctness, and quite honestly, it is destroying our country.

On the national stage, we have an idiot pastor in Florida who wants to burn a bunch of Kurans (I don't really give a crap how it's supposed to be spelled, so don't correct me). If some idiot wanted to burn a stack of bibles or take a dump on a crusafix, an army of ACLU lawyers would be there to assure that his right to freedom of expression. However, this guy in Florida wants to burn a stack of Kurans and he's getting chastised by the White House. Really?! Not to mention that his Internet service provider has yanked his websites. So that's where we are. Freedom of speech and expression exist for some, but not for others. The hypocrisy is so thick, you'd need a chainsaw to cut through it.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Dandalf[/nom]Reason to remain a PC gamer. I'll never understand the motivation to put your entire gaming experience in the hands of ONE company. Especially Microsoft.[/citation]Funny, what operating system do you use?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Funny, what operating system do you use?[/citation]
Using Windows as your OS has no impact on your gamename in Steam, or WoW or any other PC game for that matter...

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
This has been a long standing Microsoft policy, not just for X-Box, I tried signing up for an MSN IM account years ago with my name (Hellwig), they told me it was a banned word and I had to choose something else, but alas, the user name ****_you_microsoft was also not allowed.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Wow, political correctness has gotten to a ridiculous level in this country, so has censorship, and this is just how it can go terribly wrong, and affect harmless innocents. There is nothing wrong with the words Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, Straight.

I understand and agree fully that unessisaryly offensiive screen names should NOT be allowed anywhere, nor should the profanity that you encounter in certain XBL games *cough-HALO-cough*

Lighten up people stop being a bunch of tight pantie squares, Im sure you'll enjoy life much more.

@jellico - That fact of the matter is that this guy who thinks he is a Christian can put the people fighting for our freedom in more harm than nessisary and cause a unneeded backlash from the Muslim world. And till this day he has not said one intelligent thing to justify what he is doing, hes the epitome of ignorance.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Using Windows as your OS has no impact on your gamename in Steam, or WoW or any other PC game for that matter...[/citation]
Maybe not, but by running a pc with windows on it you are still putting "your entire gaming experiance" with Microsoft.

G

Hearing stories like this sure makes me glad that I don't care about Xbox Live. I have an Xbox 360 and I keep a couple of the 3-month cards around for whenever I get in the mood to play with friends online. I also run with a modified DVD firmware and play copied games online. But honestly, I couldn't care less if I get banned. I, too, think it's silly to pay a company for an online match-making service. With the amount of ads they throw at you now, it should be totally free.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom] That fact of the matter is that this guy who thinks he is a Christian can put the people fighting for our freedom in more harm than nessisary and cause a unneeded backlash from the Muslim world. And till this day he has not said one intelligent thing to justify what he is doing, hes the epitome of ignorance.[/citation]
I agree he is a moron, but he still has the right to free speech.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]tokenz[/nom]Maybe not, but by running a pc with windows on it you are still putting "your entire gaming experiance" with Microsoft.[/citation]
Not exactly, I understand the point you think you are trying to make, but "entire" tends to encompass more than just the OS.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]That fact of the matter is that this guy who thinks he is a Christian can put the people fighting for our freedom in more harm than nessisary and cause a unneeded backlash from the Muslim world[/citation]
He burns a Koran and says that Islam is the devil and they are all just terrorists, so in response the Muslim world burns effigies, shoots allied soldiers and has massed rallies with banners saying things like "Death to the West" and "Isreal must Die"

Is it me or they just proving his point?

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The problem is that when you call XBOX Live, you are calling to India, where they may speak some English, but they dont understand English words that are not on the script or have common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS