Xbox Live Gamer Banned For Living in Fort Gay

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousemonkey

Distinguished

And why is there no uproar when flags are burnt and spat on?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]heffeque[/nom]Would they have banned it if the town was called "Fort Straight"? Such hypocrisy![/citation]
What about other derogatory terms used in address...such as:-
Hillbilly Dam, in Montana?
Hick, in Florida?
Wop, in Burgosa, Uganda?
Dago, in Columbia?
Idiot Creek, in Oregon?
great person Head, in Australia?
Limey, in Ethiopia?

OK, before anyone goes crazy and complains to the mods, I didn't make these names up, they genuinely exist and if you happen to live in these places then getting to play on your Xbox could prove very difficult.

Maybe the next update for XBL should be that it can allow the city or town from your billing account to be listed. That way no one can deliberately pick a name that is offensive and no one can complain because it's not your fault the town planners picked such a stupid name.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Another proven fact that video games dont incite violence, the crap that micro$oft subjects its live members to is enough to go GTA all over their arses, but no one does, Hey micro$oft do you like fishsticks?

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
[citation][nom]swamprat[/nom]Ok, living in Scunthorpe would be fairly horrid - but how is the name rude?[/citation]

As said above remove the S and you'll see.

Funny thing is though most people I know from Scunthorpe call it Scunny, so take the S off that and "cunny" is the old Victorian derogatory slang for vagina (although I don't recall if **** and cunny are derivative of each other or not) so it's double-fun!

tburns1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Why the hell is sexual partner preference (I refuse to use the word "orientation" -- too PC) at all relevant when it comes to gaming? Really? If you want to look to group yourself with such like-minded people, go to adult themed chat rooms and such. Go to the Red Light District Online (or whatever it's called). I don't see why sex is relevant here. Someone please explain it to me?

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]thechief73[/nom]Wow, political correctness has gotten to a ridiculous level in this country, so has censorship, and this is just how it can go terribly wrong, and affect harmless innocents. There is nothing wrong with the words Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Transgender, Straight. I understand and agree fully that unessisaryly offensiive screen names should NOT be allowed anywhere, nor should the profanity that you encounter in certain XBL games *cough-HALO-cough*Lighten up people stop being a bunch of tight pantie squares, Im sure you'll enjoy life much more.@jellico - That fact of the matter is that this guy who thinks he is a Christian can put the people fighting for our freedom in more harm than nessisary and cause a unneeded backlash from the Muslim world. And till this day he has not said one intelligent thing to justify what he is doing, hes the epitome of ignorance.[/citation]
Stop for a moment to consider the irony of berating political correctness and censorship (and I completely agree with you there, and in the same breath saying the guy in Florida hasn't said anything sufficiently intelligent to justify his exercising his freedom of expression.

Freedom of speech and expression are not there merely when it's convenient or safe. Certainly, for the leaders of the civil rights movement, it was neither. Likewise, freedom of speech and expression are not there solely for those whom we deem worthy. We're going to allow white supremists to spew messages of unmitigated hate, but some hick in Florida wants to roast marshmellows over a pile of burning Korans and all of a sudden, it's something so heineous (or stupid) it can't be allowed? Are you seriously saying that?!

The First Amendment must be applied across the board, without exception, or it means nothing! And, if Islam is truly a religion of peace and understand, like we hear about non-stop from all of these media talking heads, then here is their chance to prove it. I find it terribly suspect, however, that all of the warnings against this guy's weekend BBQ are based on fears that it will incite violence and provoke terrorist acts. Sounds to me like most of the world is afraid of the peace-loving, misunderstood Muslims.

10 years ago, this wouldn't have even been a blurb on the local news. Maybe the terrorists won afterall.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]This is different. It's not censored because we as Americans can't handle it. It's because some terrorists and extremists happen to be Muslim, with itchy trigger fingers, child-like intelligence, and poor reasoning capabilities.It is a very reasonable expectation that someone or some groups of people will react violently and harm innocent people, possibly half-away around the world, because that's what their parents taught them to do.[/citation]
So, the exercise of our First Amendment rights are now at the discretion of the more action-oriented member of this "religion of peace"? Have we fallen that far?

pozaks

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
I live in Gaggercocks, Slutsyvania, in the US of Dongs. These restrictions by Microsoft infringe on my civic pride.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]Having the knowledge that this type of reaction is certainly possible, shouldn't be a matter of rights, but a matter of morality, and how important is your "message" (burning Korans) compared to human life.[/citation]
Millions of Americans have given their their lives, starting in 1776, so we could have those rights. As we are often reminded, freedom isn't free.

Or, as Thomas Jefferson said, "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

The validity of the message is not material. All that's required is that someone feel the need to express it. That right is what so many people have fought for and died to protect. If we're willing to give up that right in order to appease a group that threatens us will violence, then we are truly lost.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
I really think that Microsoft should have a team to look into this type of stuff before jumping the gun and banning paying clients. JMO

G

Microsoft should have told the Mayor to change the towns name. Fort Gay, really, cmon now; I know its Florida, but I am sure they can come up with something less of a joke.

G

Good thing I never got an Xbox since Gay is my last name I guess I would have been banned from the start. Although they would probably be ok with charging my credit card first even though it obviously has my last name on it.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom] The First Amendment must be applied across the board, without exception, or it means nothing! And, if Islam is truly a religion of peace and understand, like we hear about non-stop from all of these media talking heads, then here is their chance to prove it.[/citation]

You make a very good point and I agree with what you are saying 100%. I dont think that his rights should be taken away, but in this unique situation he just needs to consider those people upholding those rights for him and the magnitude of negative things that could very likly be the result of this act.

He's just putting more fuel on the fire(Not trying to be smart or funny, its the plain truth).

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
why all the bashing on consoles this is all about a stubborn employee and thats that...it happens to every company now and then....yeah great pc dt moderate, its lawless land where everyone can do anything...so whats ur point...its a different market....why pc users always complaining about consoles? i love pcs, i love building them setting up my htpc just right but i dt like playing on it, i love playin on consoles, i love the split screens playing with 3other friends hanging out...all the shit u cant do on a pc....imo graphics isnt everything and if so spend 400 every 6months for a graphic card....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS