Xbox Live Games for Windows Phone 7 Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
They might need an add-on controller, it sucks playing games on touch phones. I think they should consider making a portable gaming console like the PSP. Those are some nice titles.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Are these games free to play with your pay-to-connect XBox Live subscription, or will you still have to buy the games to play them? I'm unfamiliar with XBox Live (don't own an XBox and wouldn't want to pay another $15/mo just to connect it to the internet). If the subscription is free and the games are for-ay, that's good. If the subscription is pay but the games are free or extremely cheap, thats fine. If you gotta pay $15/mo + $5-$10 per game, no thanks, it is just a phone for chrissake.

Still, at launch, Windows Phone 7 will have more games available than they made available under Games for Windows Live! in like 3 years, so at least they're trying this time.

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Its a tough call, The concept of this is awesome. But playing games on touch screens does indeed suck and having to carry around a separate controller isn't ideal. But being able to sync up my zune hd, phone, pc, and xbox is appealing.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
I'm curious to know if the phone will have a snap in adapter (case) which will have a directional pad or analog sticks.

This is about the only way I could see playing some of those games. Perhaps MS is trying to kill off any attempt by Sony with the PSP Phone?

G

@jimmysmith every Windows Phone 7 is currently required to meet these hardware specs:
# Capacitive, 4-point multitouch screen
# ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor
# DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU
# 256MB of RAM with at least 8GB of Flash memory
# Accelerometer with compass, light, proximity sensor and Assisted GPS
# 5-megapixel camera or better with flash
# FM radio tuner
# 6 dedicated hardware buttons - back, Start, search, camera, power/sleep and Volume Up and Down.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Touchscreen gaming is awful for all but the simplest games. I'll be interested to see what kind of control scheme they come up with.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
They should fit a mini HDMI port on the phones and enable it to connect to a wireless xbox controller. Then we can play on the phone or attach it to a TV and controller for some on the road, night in the hotel, gaming action.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]They should fit a mini HDMI port on the phones and enable it to connect to a wireless xbox controller. Then we can play on the phone or attach it to a TV and controller for some on the road, night in the hotel, gaming action.[/citation]
There are cell phones that have (or are coming out with) an HDMI port. All you need is a bluetooth controller and you're set. Of course the resolution and graphics on a TV will be pretty awful.

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]There are cell phones that have (or are coming out with) an HDMI port. All you need is a bluetooth controller and you're set. Of course the resolution and graphics on a TV will be pretty awful.[/citation]

yeah it would need to be able to push 720P to a tv. not sure if any of Todays phones can do that but there probably are. 720P games would be much more demanding then just 720P video playback. would be sweet though.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mrecio[/nom]yeah it would need to be able to push 720P to a tv. not sure if any of Todays phones can do that but there probably are. 720P games would be much more demanding then just 720P video playback. would be sweet though.[/citation]
If you google "HMDI Phone" the first link that comes up is:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/197382/acers_android_phone_does_hdmi_720p_video.html
Its about an Acer phone that does 720P.

upsetchubbs

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Are these games free to play with your pay-to-connect XBox Live subscription, or will you still have to buy the games to play them? I'm unfamiliar with XBox Live (don't own an XBox and wouldn't want to pay another $15/mo just to connect it to the internet). If the subscription is free and the games are for-ay, that's good. If the subscription is pay but the games are free or extremely cheap, thats fine. If you gotta pay $15/mo + $5-$10 per game, no thanks, it is just a phone for chrissake.Still, at launch, Windows Phone 7 will have more games available than they made available under Games for Windows Live! in like 3 years, so at least they're trying this time.[/citation]

xbox live is $50/year big boy.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
no way they would charge for Live on the phones
hopefully they realized with GFWL and its failure to get subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.