Xbox Live Gold Family Packs Moving to Individual Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhughey

Honorable
Feb 15, 2013
Will you still be able to get up to 4 LIVE accounts for $99.00? It doesn't make sense to have to pay 200.00 (or 240.00) a year to connect your family to LIVE.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Hasn't microsoft had enough backlash for trying to price rape their customers????? All the more reason to go with PS4. I know if i had 3 kids, i sure as heck wouldn't pay $240 a year so my kids could play online, when PS4 is $5 per month per account. The only thing xbox one has going for it is a few exclusive titles.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Sorry i meant to say, $5 per month per console on the PS4. Only 1 account to have PS+, and the other accounts on the console will enjoy the benefits and online play.

nate1492

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Xbox One will be allowing multiple users per account, just like PS4. This article fails to mention that the reason why family packs are being removed is because you will only need 1 account going forward.

nate1492

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Xbox One will be allowing multiple users per account, just like PS4. This article fails to mention that the reason why family packs are being removed is because you will only need 1 account going forward.

nate1492

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Sorry for the double post, GGG, I'm not sure if it applies to the 360 or not, but I would take a guess that it would as they are tying the accounts across platforms.

This article seems to confirm that it will work on 360, http://www.slashgear.com/xbox-one-will-allow-multiple-users-on-single-xbox-live-membership-22283155/. That makes sense, if you can go cross platform with the membership, the accounts should work too!

GeoffDeGeoff

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
nate, while one account will allow you to have a 360 and an XBOX ONE you only get the gold features on multiple accounts on the XBOX ONE itself, so to maintain gold features on all your 360 accounts (4 in my case) means you need 4 gold memberships now. Now they may be changing that in the next dashboard update, but as it stands 360 family pack owners are stuffed.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
That sucks for me and my 360 now. Looks like they were fearing another customer backlash so they made a pre-emptive move to copy the PS4 account model.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
The issue is for people like me. I have 3 kids with their own xBox in their own rooms. I had them on a family plan with me until I had to renew it in May. At that point, I was not able to renew my family plan and thus the 3 kids no longer have gold accounts and won't until MS comes up with a better system or the kids are able to pay themselves.

At the time I did question them about this and they said that they would be coming out with something to replace it. However, having one account that controls all accounts on one box does not replace a family account that actually controls a family regardless of box(s).

nate1492

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
GGGplaya, how does that "suck" for your xbox now?

You get 3 months free AND you don't have to pay for the more expensive family plan! You get 3 months free... And you now only need to buy one account! Just think, instead of $99 a year, you pay $60 (or less if you buy from a store, I've seen them as cheap as $35).

I just don't see how there is any situation where you are coming out behind if you own a single Xbox.

Skippy, I see you may have a point, if someone owns more than one xbox (wow I'm a bit jealous, multiple xboxes?) They may have a gripe that it is different, but surely if you can afford having multiple consoles in each kids room, you may have a bit more cash to solve this issue. PS4 wouldn't be cheaper in this situation, so there really isn't a difference between the 2.

someperson123

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
I love when someone stated that this is Microsoft copying Sony's model... people tend to conveiniently forget that Microsoft announced this new family plan when Xbox was revealed. I was worried that with the 24-hour check-in redaction that this new family model was also going. I am hppy to hear that it is not.

I do understand they will need some restriction to keep people from having one Gold account giving free Gold to several users on several consoles, so their will almost certainly be a restriction to the primary console, which currently looks to be only one Xbox One, will have the family plan, but any tributary consoles will allow Gold only for the account registered with Gold, and none of the piggy-back accounts.

GeoffDeGeoff

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
nate1492 it sucks for gggplaya and me because we have multiple accounts each that currently have gold privileges and the 360 needs each account to have gold if they are to access all the services.
So in order for the 3 of us to access Netflix etc. under our own accounts I now need to pay for 3 separate accounts instead of 1 family account.

Only the ONE has the household gold concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.