Xbox Modding Case Dismissed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
How did they know the game was pirated? By the law you're allowed to make backup copies of software for archival purposes.

I know I would if I had to do anything in a business environment. I don't want my originals going wandering off if I am working on someone's computer.

This is just the console industry going crazy because some people are undermining their crappy business plan. Sell consoles at a loss, sell games for $$$$. They want the government to prop up their stupid business plan.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]mikem_90[/nom] By the law you're allowed to make backup copies of software for archival purposes. I[/citation]

That´s what I thought, but I´m not exactly sure if you can use your personal backup copy to test commercial services.

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
+1 for anyone who says "YOU MEAN 180 RIGHT?!!!?!?!?"

It's probably a good thing that you didn't get it, that means you stay away from 4chan.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]usfs[/nom]looks like the prosecutor did a 360 and walked away.[/citation]
i can't believe 8 people +1'd that. it's kinda funny if it weren't for the fact it's a circle and brings you right back to where you were as my first thought.
you know that if you crack a 360 you end up with a 180 right? that's something the prosecutor could have taken all the way to the 42" in the confrence room for some 1 on 1 with the defense.

mergatroid

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
This still does not settle the validity of modding something you own. Unless someone is going to tell me the EULA states that the hardware is only LEASED to the customer (in which case Microsoft owns it) then modding something you own should be perfectly legal. After all, you own it so you can do whatever you please with it.

Of course, this does not mean I approve of modding. It's just done to play pirated games, and to enable some forms of cheating (for those little kiddies who can't win without cheating). All this using the excuse of "backing up my games". How lame can you get?

Status
Not open for further replies.