Xbox One Adjusts Itself to Prevent Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick47018

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
So it has heat problems, and he weaker console will become even weaker to cope with the hear... That's sad.. O well, I'll just stick with PC and get a PS4 for the exclusives when I can get a good deal on one

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Where in the article is it mentioned that it is a heat problem? They're just saying they'll have remedies in case temps get too high, not everyone play or live in a cool climate so this is a good solution. Also, every piece of hardware will get pretty hot when crammed in such a small enclosure, be it PC or PS4.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I hope I'm just reading the article wrong, and the console will kick the fan to max speed before it decides to drop the power usage. i would think that would be the more appropriate order.

With current computing designs, there's no way to keep high performance and lower the power use from it's previous norm. In order to drop power you have to downclock the system. Which will likely suspend or boot you out of the game, because it's unlikely to be able to keep playing at a high enough frame rate to, well, play.

The only other exception is if the game doesn't already use enough of the system, in which case it could likely downclock and keep you in the game, if it's able to dynamically adjust that much, otherwise it will likely suspend the game until temps reach safe levels for a defined period of time.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
The article is talking about ways it prevents overheating. It doesn't say anywhere that it has heat issues. Given the lower thermal envelope, I'll guarantee it stays nice and cool in all but the most hostile conditions.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Nowhere in this article does it suggest that the One will overheat. This is just an insurance measure, to make sure that there are no Red Ring like failures this time. Considering the Xbox One has a large open air design case with vents on half of the top, both sides, and the back, a pretty big fan covering the SoC, and no internal power supply generating extra heat, I don't think we need to worry about overheating, not even after the small graphics core clock increase, not unless you have your One on a very tight closed-in shelf, which would be your own fault.

If anything is going to overheat, it'll be the PS4, it's 50% smaller than the One, it only has vents on the back and very tiny vent under a lip on one side, and it has an internal power supply generating extra heat inside the case.

Zaxx420

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Pretty necessary when you are using fan cooling and claim that the hardware will last 10 years. Once the fan dies, the processor will be permanently throttled...I give it 5 years tops. I'd love to find 10 year fans for my rig...lol

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The xbox 360 slim has a monitoring system in it, but it doesn't work very well at all. The Slim's fan runs so slow that heat builds up right from the get go. MS. just doesn't get it when it comes to keeping the inside of the system cool, they are always on the edge of a compete meltdown. A person shouldn't have to do fan mods on their consoles to save it from Red Death right out of the box. MS. Needs to wake up.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The xbox 360 slim has a monitoring system in it, but it doesn't work very well at all. The Slim's fan runs so slow that heat builds up right from the get go. MS. just doesn't get it when it comes to keeping the inside of the system cool, they are always on the edge of a compete meltdown. A person shouldn't have to do fan mods on their consoles to save it from Red Death right out of the box. MS. Needs to wake up.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
Sounds like confirmed has heat problems??? And so the console will auto kicks down when it heats up and kicks up when it's cool down.....i can imagine my game suddenly lagging, and then suddenly smooth, and then suddenly lagging again....WOW!!!! :x

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I would say this confirms heat problems but he's basiclly touting PC features that have been brought over as a switch to x86 architecture. When was the last time PC had a CPU with a single power state and no fan control?

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
Even there is no mention of XBone having overheat problem, but the article does make people to suspicious that it may have this problem, especially MS recently increased the clock speed of the GPU.

lordjakian

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Isn't this guy supposed to be familiar with the console? His credibility is supposed when it was said that he is a General Manager of Console Development. But Leo del Castillo can't even give a clear explanation of what occurs for the user when it overheats.

"I don’t know...the fan turns on....it will likely give a warning...."

Get this guy away from interviewers!

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
it's called a thermal sensor. Asus, Gigabyte, Nvidia, AMD, and everyone else on the planet has been using it for over 10 years. "If temp gets near threshold, increase fan speed". wow...not hard

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
The problem is that they may go with a stupid design like with the xbox 360 where it is hard to open.

Temperatures are one of the first things a company deals with. The xbox 360 (first revision) did not overheat when new. it ran hot but not overheating hot. the problem is that due to the cooling design there was a gap between the top of the unit and the top of the fins of the heatsink to much of the airflow went through the back portion of the heatsink (and for what little went through the heatsink would get almost completely bypassed when a small amount of dust builds up)

Modern laptops will also slow down when the CPU temperature gets too high. this is not due to poor design, it is due to the fact that you cant really design a heatsink that works and never gathers dust.

On the 360 v1, simply taping a piece of cardboard on the top of the heatsink fins will significantly drop the temperature.

The xbox 1 will likely throttle when the temperature gets too high (a feature that has been around for years on computers), The only issue is how will your game run when the console decides to throttle If it is unplayable to too laggy then the console might as well just save the game and turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.