Xbox One Hands On: Multitasking Multimedia Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
I'm definitely a fan of the multi-tasking aspect of XB One and I've always thought the xb interface was light years ahead of playstation. I wish I could take the hardware from the PS4 and put it together with the controller and interface from the XBox One.

I can't decide whether the controller and Titanfall/Halo are a bigger draw or the Remote Play with Vita and indie games. I like that both consoles seem to be good choices (after Microsoft fixed a lot of their early stupid decisions)

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
could careless I already have a DVR and a Blu-Ray player. That isn't going to sell me. I want a true console not some multi-media/console.

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
That does sound interesting; almost worth loosing a bit of gaming performance for.
That is assuming you live in the U.S. and have access to all these great services :/

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Hulu, Youtube etc behind subscription paywall.
100$ more expensive than the competitor.
Yet it's slower, managing only 720p where competitor does 1080p.
Rushed out, "beta tested in the future".

But comes with ability to say "hi NSA!"... Priceless...

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
While this might be interesting, nothing will beat the PC in my book. The PC can become any of those and mroe, and its up to you. You, the user, decide what you pay for.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks no. This thing is like glorified Windows 8 which i can't stand. It looks like XBOX one is everything but not gaming machine. My money goes to PS4.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Multitasking Multimedia Machine.

Plays Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle, CWTV, ESPN, FOX NOW, FXNOW, HBO GO, Machinima, MUZU TV, Redbox Instant, Target Ticket, TED, The NFL on Xbox One, Twitch, Univision Deportes, Verizon FiOS TV and VUDU.

So basically they took everything windows does since 95, slapped on a metro UI, and stuffed it all in an overheating ITX box? Because didn't windows 95 let people do this on their PC? I remember my dads Pc played TV with a add in card, bet it "could" play DVD's too.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

This is misinformation. Only some titles are being released at 720p, while most will be released at 1080p.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Where does your temperature info come from? Or are you just assuming the thing gets hot because it's AMD inside? This would carry over to the PS4 if that's the case.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

There are a lot of indie games available through the Xbox marketplace (or whatever they call it these days).

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
I'm surprised it requires a cable box. They could have had a more integrated solution - requiring no IR transmitter or other control connection to an external STB - with a cable card and some tuner hardware such as Ceton or HDHomeRun Prime. Plus, they could then offer additional capabilities such as DVR that they probably cannot do from an HDMI input due to content restrictions and re-encoding processing bandwidth.

Between the lack of DVR capabilities (this is an assumption on my part; I could be wrong), the requirement of an external STB to tune cable TV channels, the not-quite-there 1080p gaming performance, and the fact that this is going to be buggy for the next few months at least, maybe we should call this the XBOX One Half.

I get where they're going, "One Box to Rule Them All.". I've been expecting either them or the cable co's to go there for a few years now. But the XBone just isn't quite there yet. It's actually very disappointing, because if they had gotten there, then this one device (and perhaps a receiver...) would have been basically all you would need in the entertainment room. Now, it will be something that you will be excited to be able to replace when the full-fledged one comes out. Perhaps that was their plan from the beginning, but it's not a very nice one.

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
There is one thing missing....Media Center Extender functionality. My XBox360 works perfectly to extend WM7 across my network to my TV's. I eliminated all cable boxes ($39.95 per month from TWC for DVR on each TV), and have a 6-tuner unlimited DVR capability with WM7. I can watch live TV, pause, rewind, fast forward, watch recorded TV, up to 6 channels to watch/record simultaneously - total cost - $5.00 per month for all TV's for a single cable card.

Now Microsoft takes a step backward by only integrating the cable box to the XBox.....isn't that what Google TV does - and for $300+ less....

catfishtx

Honorable
May 15, 2012
The tech is a little impressive but I am still not interested. When I game, I just want to game. I don't play background music, watch TV, or manage my Netflix queue. I try to get lost in the game. I do all of that other stuff in real life. Games are the escape so I try to minimize the outside clutter.

However, my boys are the opposite. Both have their own gaming PCs with dual monitors. They have DOTA going on one and they are watching Youtube on the other. All while texting their friends. So, it seems this is a generational thing. The Xbox might be catering to the teen\20 somethings with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.