Xiaomi Mi Box 4K - problem with audio (optical)

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonnam

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
Hi,
I've a problem with audio in Xiaomi Mi Box 4K. I've connected Mi Box with my home theatre system (LG HT503TH) using toslink cable (and adapter 3.5mm to toslink - Mi Box doesn't have toslink output). I set SPDIF as audio output in Mi Box but it doesn't work. If I set PCM or HDMI, the sound is sent to the TV. The cable seems fine because I see red light at the end of the cable.
Do you have any idea how to fix it and get 5.1 audio?

Thanks,
Simon

simonnam

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017

Hmm... I'm not sure I understood you right.
As far as I know, toslink is one of the SPDIF connector, isn't it? 3.5mm either.
Mi Box has 3.5mm output (hybrid - optical and electrical), LG HT503TH has toslink input. I had toslink-toslink cable, I bought 3.5mm-toslink optical adapter and used it.

carazay

Prominent
May 27, 2017
You need this cable. Google "3.5mm optical to toslink" for supplier somewhere near/ships to you.
(Minimise adapters as it merely adds potential points of failure.)
https://www.jaycar.com.au/toslink-to-3-5mm-fibre-optic-audio-lead-1-0m/p/WQ7298

Also SPDIF is a 'protocol' for information transfer while toslink is a physical connector type. Don't confuse the two.
DTS and DD5.1 definitely work over SPDIF. (Think of the very first PC sound cards that did surround.) All came from SPDIF capable connectors.

I don't have a Mi Box so I don't know where in the interface you choose SPDIF and check passthrough. Try doing it in your KODI audio settings. (Unfortunately my receiver died just before I bought my android box so my setup is different till I get a new one)
I've connected several media players for others before in the same configuration. Media Box-->HDMI-->TV for video. MediaBox-->TOSLINK/Optical-->Old receiver that can decode DD5.1/DTS for audio.
Also there's plenty of MiBox info on Mi/Android forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.