Solved! XPS 13 stuck in restart cycle after reset

Dec 9, 2018
I just reset my laptop, and towards the end of the process there was some message about whether I wanted to delete a very specific drive (I don't recall what it was) but I said yes. Then, it said "Installing Windows..." for a while, and then it got to some screen that said "Just a moment...", for quite a while. Then, it restart. I got a message that asked what language and keyboard I wanted to use and some other things, and then it told me that it needed to update Windows to fix a restart problem and it needed my wifi. I gave it my wifi info, and then it did the exact same thing from the "Please Wait" screen through the screen that saided it needed to fix a problem, except when I clicked next it didn't make me enter my wifi. Then it just repeated that over and over. How can I fix this?

Solution
A few things to try...

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Turn off your WiFi, or take the laptop to an area where there isn't any WiFi. (If connected via Ethernet, unplug it.)
3. Turn on the laptop.
4. Once it fully loads, then turn on your WiFi again.

Sometimes (especially in 10) updates, including those that come after a reset, can get the computer stuck. It happens when an update fails, for whatever reason, and the device continually tries to get it to install over and over. Leaving you 'stuck'. Until you take away its ability to continue trying the update, hence the no WiFi, then it should load.

You can also try...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer...
A few things to try...

1. Turn off the laptop.
2. Turn off your WiFi, or take the laptop to an area where there isn't any WiFi. (If connected via Ethernet, unplug it.)
3. Turn on the laptop.
4. Once it fully loads, then turn on your WiFi again.

Sometimes (especially in 10) updates, including those that come after a reset, can get the computer stuck. It happens when an update fails, for whatever reason, and the device continually tries to get it to install over and over. Leaving you 'stuck'. Until you take away its ability to continue trying the update, hence the no WiFi, then it should load.

You can also try...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. To fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your computer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

If none of these work then I would suggest getting a CD/DVD/USB with the original OS on it and installing from that.

Solution