XPS13 (2015) vs Asus Zenbook UX305UA

krustie92

Honorable
Apr 13, 2013
I'm looking to buy a new laptop. I currently have an XPS15 L502X which is a bit long in the tooth and very bulky.

I'm hoping to swap to a lighter ultrabook style laptop. My main requirements/wants are 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. Also, I'll have a friend visiting US soon so I want to get the laptop delivered to their hotel because prices are cheaper than at home.

Having done a trawl through Amazon I've largely weedled it down to
Dell XPS13 - $899
or
ASUS Zenbook UX305UA - $749

The main difference is price (Asus $150) and Asus has a newer CPU (6200U vs 5200U) while the XPS13 has QHD display.

Is there any reason to pick one over the other? Or is there anything else I should consider? Thanks for any replies.

EDIT: I've also found the Asus UX303 - $830
Didn't realise it was an upgrade to UX305. Its better than UX305 with touchscreen and backlit keyboard but slightly more expensive.

I'm now thinking it should be between UX303 and XPS13. Backlit keyboard is a nice addition that I would also like.

Solution
The dell xps is good if you like the small footprint of it and the latest components whereas the asus uses older tech. Both are very good and you won't notice the difference between the 2 if you are using it normally. But the 1080p model of the dell xps has better battery life, don't know about the QHD.
Another thing, the dell xps uses automatic brightness which can't be switched off I think which maybe an issue for some people.

Tauxi

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
I have XPS 13 and it's amazing. Super lightweight and powerful enough for heavy web browsing. Beautiful sexy 2k screen, 10 hours of battery !

Plus you can buy Dell Companion to add extra 10 hours of use

The dell xps is good if you like the small footprint of it and the latest components whereas the asus uses older tech. Both are very good and you won't notice the difference between the 2 if you are using it normally. But the 1080p model of the dell xps has better battery life, don't know about the QHD.
Another thing, the dell xps uses automatic brightness which can't be switched off I think which maybe an issue for some people.

Solution